Thursday, April 8, 2021

Spring Break Begins & The Second Shot

Spring break began on Good Friday, April 2.  (Let’s be honest: every Friday is a good Friday).  Everyone was looking forward to a week off school and surprised by how fast time was moving.  Midterm exams & report cards were held 2 weeks ago, but it felt like that was yesterday.  My plans for the break were simple: eat, sleep, relax, and go out on the land at least once.  Time would have to be set aside for school.  There’s no avoiding that.

The community held Easter games on Monday, April 5, out on the ice in front of the Northern Store and next to the breakwater pier.  Trucks, skidoos, and atvs were parked in a makeshift parking lot.  From a distance it looked like the adults were running relay games for the kids.  Local sled dog owners were taking people out on rides in the bay.

The Logan GeoTech Drill had been moved off the ice and was sitting next to the breakwater pier.  I snapped a photograph because this was the first time I could clearly see the machine.  The machine was hiding inside a large wooden box when it was being moved & used.  The drill looks complicated and expensive.

I received my second dose of the Moderna vaccine on April 6.  The procedure was the same as before.  I arrived at the community hall, signed in, answered several questions for the nurse, and then received my injection.  The nurse wrote the date on a business-sized vaccination card.  I waited 15 minutes before heading home.  I laminated my vaccination card.  One less thing to worry about.

A co-worker of mine fixed the electrical system on my skidoo, bringing the dashboard & headlights back to life.  I didn’t really need the headlights because the sun was in the sky for most of the day.  Twenty-four-hour sunlight is just another 2 weeks away!  With my machine out of the shop, I could finally take it out on the land.  I spent two days getting gas & oil, buying snacks at the Northern Store, and selecting an area to visit.  I settled on an area I hadn’t been to since 2017.  I set my day trip for Friday, April 9.

More on this in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment