Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Christmas 2021

Christmas decorations were put up inside Inuujaq School at the beginning of December.  A very long colourful chain hung from the ceiling of the main hallway, stretching from the high school wing all the way to the elementary wing.  The chain was constructed in sections and then joined together.  I filmed a short video of the completed chain for the school’s Facebook group.  Several classes decorated their doors.  A corner Christmas display, featuring a tree and stockings with the names of staff, was put together by the student support assistants (SSAs).  The decorations keep the atmosphere festive and takes peoples’ minds off the fact that it’s dark season. 


The staff potluck dinner was held after school on December 10.  The staff transformed the high school science room into a dining room with decorations, coloured table cloths, and a Christmas tree.  Staff and invited guests brought whatever they could offer.  My offer was cheese & crackers.  I know that sounds lame, but these were high quality cheese & crackers.  I quickly photographed the food on display before the event began.

The principal welcomed everyone and an Elder blessed the food.  People lined up with their plates.  I was one of the last people in line.  Previous staff dinners taught me there is always plenty of food.  I loaded my plate with various meats, salads, stuffing, and a few cheese & crackers.  The food was so good I had a second helping.

Staff who participated in Secret Santa handed out their final gifts to the people they picked from a draw at the beginning of the week.  After that, we put the science room back the way it was.  Leftover food was divided and taken home.

Unfortunately, the school did not organize a Christmas concert this year due to COVID-19 restrictions.  Curse you COVID-19!  There’s always next year.

High school final exams were held on December 10, 13, and 14.  Teachers spent the next two days grading the exams and completing report cards.

The last day of school was December 17.  Santa came to Inuujaq School after lunch to hand out presents to all the students and pose for photographs.  I was the school’s photographer.  Once Santa was finished visiting a class, that class was dismissed for the Holidays.  The presents were collected and sent by Northern Canada Mini Projects.  Students also received their report cards.

Everyone wished everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  School was finished by 3pm.

I flew down south this year for the Holidays to visit my parents.  The journey south was mostly uneventful; I just had to overnight in Iqaluit.      

That’s all I have to say about the month of December.  I’ll be taking a short break from my blogging duties and will return in the new year.               

See you all in 2022!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment