Monday, June 12, 2023

Before The Summer Break

The last day of school for students was June 5.  Students assisted teachers in cleaning the classrooms and throwing out work they no longer wanted.  Final report cards were handed out in the afternoon.  A few minutes before the last school bell rang, the principal came over the PA system and wished students a safe & happy summer.  The bell rang and students celebrated the end of school.  When I was growing up, Alice Cooper’s School’s Out would play in my mind.  When I was in high school, it was Mel Gibson shouting “Freedom!” in Braveheart. 

The last day of school for staff was June 6 (next day).  There was a bunch of housekeeping duties we had to complete before we were dismissed for summer break.  Some of them included making sure the classrooms were clean, the desks & chairs were piled into one area of each classroom, and posters removed from walls.  Speaking of posters & walls, this was the same for the main hallway.  Any borrowed electronics needed to be returned to the main office.  

A year-end staff get together was held in the afternoon.  Snacks were served.  It was a nice way for staff to unwind after working hard for 10 months.  Staff talked about their summer plans, and we said goodbye to teachers who wouldn’t be returning in August.

Many southern teachers left on June 7, but I chose to delay my departure until Friday.  I needed an extra two days to relax at home, clean, and pack. 

I flew down south on June 9.  The plane took off at noon.  I took several photos of the community as the plane ascended into the sky.  There was still snow & ice in the bay, but it was beginning to melt.  The was also snow on mountain tops.

Canadian North, unfortunately, recently changed its plane routes, so the plane first landed in Resolute Bay.  (The community is further north than Arctic Bay).  We picked up more passengers and then flew down to Iqaluit.  Thankfully, the flight to Ottawa was in the evening, but I arrived in the nation’s capital in the very late evening.  At least I didn’t have to overnight in Iqaluit.

As always, I’ll be taking a break from my blogging duties for the duration of the summer.  See you all in August!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment