Saturday, February 20, 2021

Parents Night Parade – Feb 2021

I spent the afternoon of February 16 in the cadet office, sorting all the awards & promotions, and placing them in labelled plastic Ziploc bags.  I also printed a few copies of the Parents Night Parade program and a single copy of the awards & promotions list.  I had to keep that list hidden from the cadets.

The cadets & I arrived at the gym at 5:30pm on Wednesday, February 17.  3045 Army Cadet Corps was finally going to have its first Parents Night Parade of the 2020-2021 training year.  Community members were allowed to attend, but it was on a first come, first serve basis.  We were limited to 50 people. 


The next hour was spent turning the gym into a parade square.  I brought down the Ziploc bags last because I knew they would immediately be noticed by the cadets.  I was correct in my assumption.  The cadets crowded around them and tried to figure out who would get what.  I put a stop to that by getting the parade commander to form everyone up for roll call.  The cadets were then sized and moved into the equipment room.

The parade began at 6:30pm with the flag party marching on the flags of Canada & the cadet program.  They deposited the flags on opposite sides of the awards table and then took their positions as left markers on the parade square.  The remaining cadets marched out of the equipment room and halted next to the left markers.  The platoon commander dressed the entire platoon and then waited for my arrival.

I entered the gym wearing my dress uniform.  I stood in the centre and saluted as the platoon commander ordered the General Salute & playing of O Canada.  I then inspected the cadets and briefly spoke to a few of them.  The cadets then did a March Past, demonstrating their drill for the audience.  I gave a short welcome speech to the audience & a congratulatory speech to the cadets for their dress, drill, and deportment.

Level 4 Marksmanship Cadets.

The parade continued with awards, presentations, and promotions.  I started with the marksmanship & physical training badges.  Four cadets achieved Level 1; three cadets achieved Level 2; five cadets achieved Level 3; and five cadets achieved Level 4 (the highest).  Cadets who achieve Level 4 join the corps distinguished class of shooters, but still have to work to maintain that level.  They also assist adult staff in running the air rifle range on weekends.

Excellence PT Level Cadets.

For physical training: three cadets achieved Bronze; four cadets achieved Silver; eight cadets achieved Gold, and six cadets achieved Excellence.  The six Excellence level cadets will assist each other in running future physical training tests on the first Saturday of every month.      

All the cadets were called to the front to receive their badges, a congratulatory handshake, and a picture for the Facebook group.

Year 2 - First Place - Fall Biathlon.

Senior Cadets - Top 3 - Fall Biathlon

I moved on to the winners of the 2020 Fall Biathlon competition.  The cadets already knew, but this was the first parade to officially recognize them in front of the community.  I called out the top 3 cadets from each of the 3 categories: Year 1, Year 2, & Seniors.  The lucky recipients received t-shirts and bragging rights.  Their photographs were also taken for the corps Facebook group.


Winner of the NSE Level 1

Several years ago, the cadet program introduced the National Star of Excellence (NSE), a points-based program for senior cadets.  Cadets are assessed on their knowledge & performance across a wide variety of areas, such as: physical training, marksmanship, expeditions, exchanges, leadership, community service, music, senior summer camp courses, and previous awards.  There are 4 levels a cadet can achieve:  Level 1 - 450 points; Level 2 – 750; Level 3 – 900; and Level 4 – 1000 points. 

I had the honour of announcing & presenting the NSE Level 1 badge to one of the senior cadets.  He looked very pleased to receive the badge.

Promotions to Corporal.

Promotions to Master Corporal.

Promotion to Sergeant.

I saved promotions for last.  I had hinted there would be a lot of them and I was right.  I started from the lowest rank, promoting five cadets to the rank of Lance Corporal.  Seven Lance Corporals were promoted to Corporal.  Four Corporals were promoted to Master-Corporal.  One Master-Corporal was promoted to the senior rank of Sergeant and received a red sash.  And finally, two Warrant Officers were promoted to the senior rank of Master Warrant Officer.  I explained to the cadets that these two could also be addressed as “Sergeant-Majors” or “Sirs”.

Lt. (ret) May did the Closing Remarks and encouraged the audience to continue supporting the cadet corps.  The parade continued with the Advance In Review Order & General Salute.  The cadets were dismissed after I left the gym.

I returned and posed with the cadets in a group photo.  Reception lasted for 20 minutes.  The cadets assisted me putting everything away and cleaning the gym.  Once those were completed, the cadets were formed up for a quick debrief and then sent home.

I breathed a sigh of relief.  Another parade successfully completed.

3045's newest Master Warrant Officers.

No comments:

Post a Comment