Friday, March 5, 2021

Late February / Early March

February 21, 2021

Professional Development (PD) Week came to an end on February 19.  The three online courses I completed were alright.  The courses are offered by the American non-profit organization ASCD, and focus on special education, participation techniques, and how to teach students living in poverty.  Even though the courses primarily focus on the American education system, large portions of the content are applicable to Canada.

I was glad the courses were up-to-date, specifically the videos.  One course I took a few years ago had very old videos.  Unfortunately, a few of my coworkers ran into that problem this time around.  Hopefully, ASCD will update those courses.

I photographed Arctic Bay on February 21 while driving to school.  The sun was in the sky and shining brightly, so I didn’t want to pass the opportunity.  The only recent addition to the centre of town is the new Fire Hall. 

Classes resumed on February 22.  It was business as usual.  Some of my students had gone seal hunting during PD Week.  They had to wear thick layers of clothing to stay warm.  February is the coldest month.  The other students stayed in town.

It’s been 3 weeks since the Nuluujaat Land Guardians (NLG) ended their blockade at the Mary River Mine and they’re still waiting to meet Inuit organizations to discuss Baffinland’s plans to expand the mine. Nunatsiaq News reported that a spokeswoman for the NLG spoke with a representative from Nunavut Tunngavik Inc (NTI), but no date for a formal meeting has been set.  Hopefully, that will be done soon.  The Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA) has also been in contact with the NLG about holding a meeting.

Good news arrived at the end of February.  The Moderna vaccine finally arrived in the community.  Other communities had received the vaccine much earlier.  People were required to call the health centre to book an appointment.  My appointment is booked for March 8.  I can’t wait.  The vaccine clinic will be held at the community hall.      

March 3, 2021

March 3, 2021

The people of Arctic Bay woke up on March 3 to see their community enveloped by a blizzard.  Blizzards are rare in Arctic Bay, but they do happen every now & then.  The tall surrounding hills & mountains aren’t enough to completely shield us from the harsh Arctic wind.  School was cancelled for the entire day.


I went to school in the afternoon because I had class work to correct & I wanted to get ahead in lesson planning.  I walked because my skidoo was in the shop getting fixed.  The wind was still blowing strongly, forcing me to completely cover my head.  Ski goggles protected my eyes.  I took several pictures along the way.  I safely made it to school.  The blizzard was over by the evening. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment