Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Vacation

Iqaluit Airport Landing Lights.
And just like that (snap!), summer has come and gone.  Two months just flew by in an 'instant'.  I'll give you the short version of what transpired in the last eight weeks.
            
As previously stated in my last post, my summer vacation began in Iqaluit.  After checking into the Discovery Lodge, I immediately headed over to the town's only shawarma restaurant and ordered a beef plate.  I had been craving a shawarma for the last six months.  With lunch out of the way, I headed over to Inuksuk High School to say hello to my former coworkers (teaching staff) and students.  Final exams had just begun.  Many were surprised by my sudden appearance but were happy to see me.  Everyone wanted to know how I was handling life up in Arctic Bay.  I told them that I was taking it in stride and would be returning in August.  They congratulated me for obtaining an indeterminate position.
            

The row of residential houses being
rebuilt.
I also explored several parts of the town on foot.  I was glad to see the town rebuilding the row of residential houses that were burned in a devastating fire in February 2012.  To the south of the town's airport lie the town's landfill, a field of communication towers, and fuel storage farms.  I didn't get a chance to explore this area until now.  From here, you get a clear view of the entire town.  Many residents come to this area (in the shape of a small peninsula) to fish or to walk their dogs.  There was still snow on the ground but a lot had melted.  As for the ice in the bay, it was still frozen.  Inuit locals were still riding their skidoos out on the ice even though it was June.
            
The Pier.
The southeastern side of the town near the coast was another area that I hadn't explored during my time in Iqaluit.  The area contains many rows of residential houses and 'The Pier', a long stretch of earth that stretches out into the bay.  I don't think 'The Pier' is used to unload sea lift supplies because when I lived in Iqaluit, the barges that carried the shipping containers were unloaded near the Coast Guard building just south of the airport's runway.  'The Pier' is frequented by tourists and residents wanting to take pictures of themselves with the town in the background.  The ice & snow around the pier quickly melts resulting in pools of water and many clumps of wet snow.  The area becomes impassable for skidoos.      
            

I flew down to Ottawa on June 10 and spent the next twenty days in my hometown, spending time with family & friends.  The weather was much hotter but I was glad that my body handled the sudden shift in temperature.  I was even more grateful that I didn't melt.
            
Toronto City Hall

The month of July was devoted to completing the second part of a three-part instrumental music course at the University of Toronto.  I completed the first part last summer.  This additional qualifications course would enable me to teach high school music in Ontario, but the knowledge and skills obtained could be used outside of the province.  I also took it to learn a brass instrument, specifically the trumpet, because I wanted to be versatile in all sections of the concert band (woodwind, brass, percussion).  But I would also get the chance to revisit the instrument I learned last summer: clarinet.  There were four various instrumental music courses being offered by the university but we were all grouped in one large classroom.  As an added bonus, a variety of guest speakers would come to speak to us on teaching guitar, strings, jazz advocacy, jazz improvisation, and promoting music education. 
            
Many of the participating teachers were from the Greater Toronto Area but some came as far as Barrie, Hamilton, and Winnipeg.  Naturally, I travelled the furthest.  I resided on campus for the duration of the course.  The participating teachers were surprised to hear that I was teaching in Arctic Bay and were curious as to how different it was than in the rest of Canada.  I responded that for the most part, teaching up north is exactly like down south, except you're the minority, and the curriculum is similar to Alberta's with more Inuit centered courses.  As for living up north, the community is much smaller & more isolated, the cost of living is more expensive, and you have to create your own social life.  The teachers were mostly shocked by the cost of airfare to Arctic Bay - $1620 if you're a teacher, $2600 if you're not.  And that's one way.
            

Overall, I learned a fair amount about playing & taking care of the trumpet.  Yes, the initial stages of learning the instrument was a struggle and sometimes comical, but by the end, I was able to play many notes clearly and a few tunes.  However, for the final concert, I played it safe and stuck with the clarinet.  I also forged new contacts with several teachers and would keep in touch with them throughout the year.  I don't think I convinced anyone to move up north right away but I'm sure I planted the idea of teaching up north in everyone's mind.  I'll most likely finish Part Three next summer.
            

Toronto is the largest city in Canada with an endless amount of activities for people to do.  I satisfied the daredevil inside me by completing the CN Tower EdgeWalk for the third time on July 13.  Ever since the attraction opened in August 2011, I have been in attendance every summer.  At a height of 356 metres (1,168 feet), participants are given a 360 degree guided tour of the city on the roof of the CN Tower.  There are no guardrails; only two very tough safety cables attached to your harness to keep you from going over the edge.  Your courage is ultimately tested by leaning back & forward over the edge.  I was no longer weak-in-the-knees and was able to let go of both hands.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to lean all the way back.  Thankfully there's next summer.  A ticket costs $175 but it also gives you access to the other attractions in the observation tower.     
            

For the last five years, I have been participating in thrillseeking activities in an effort to rid myself of acrophobia.  I've also tandem skydived twice in New Zealand (click to read Tandem & Tandem II), and climbed the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, Australia.  Only time will tell of what other feats I will conquer.            

Entrance to Game On.

Mario.
The last time I visited Toronto's Ontario Science Centre (OSC), I was a small child.  Now as a full grown adult, I took a break from my studies and headed over to the OSC to see Game On 2.0, a travelling video game exhibition, making its first appearance in Canada.  Starting from the 1970s, video games have evolved into a multi-billion dollar industry, with a wide range of genres catering to players across all ages.  Everyone plays video games; they're not just for kids.  Game On 2.0 featured 150+ playable games ("from Pong to Guitar Hero"), glass displays showcasing consoles and handheld devices spanning all 7 generations, character art, and video game posters.        
            
Nintendo Gameboys
"I love the Power Glove. It's
so bad."
I previously attended a Game On exhibition in Brisbane, Australia back in 2009.  Comparing the two, I have to say that the one in Brisbane was bigger and more expansive.  The exhibition occupied two floors whereas the OSC one occupied one large hall.  But I did like being allowed to take pictures.  (In Brisbane, you had to check in your bag and camera).  I also liked playing all the video games for free.  In a traditional arcade, I would have spent a small fortune in quarters and loonies.  Despite being smaller in scope, the Game On 2.0 exhibition did a good job showcasing the history of video games.
            

And finally, the last highlight of the summer was attending Red Bull's Flugtag in Ottawa-Gatineau on July 27.  This was my first flugtag.  Competitors build and attempt to fly human-powered flying machines (max length: 10m/30ft, max weight: 150kg/330lbs).  The flying contraptions are launched off a pier 30 feet above water.  Competitors are judged on distance, creativity, and showmanship.  Since the 'aircraft' will end up in the water, they must be constructed from environmentally friendly materials and be able to float.  The first Red Bull Flugtag was held in Vienna, Austria in 1992.          
            
Angry Bird Le Destructeur

The pier was erected in the Ottawa River, next to the Museum of Civilization.  Attendance was free.  Thirty flying contraptions were on display just next to the pier.  Their teams were dressed in a variety of crazy outfits.  The weather was hot and the sun was shining brightly.  By the time the opening ceremonies began, the area around the pier was full of spectators.  Out in the river, a fleet of private boats & yachts assembled to view the spectacle.  The entire event would be recorded and televised. 
            
The Eh Team
Divin' Flyin' V
The opening ceremony was in English & French, with speeches, videos, and the Red Bull Skydive Team jumping from a plane and landing on the pier with their deployed parachutes.  The main event followed a simple routine.  First, the team would push their flying contraption onto the pier for everyone to see.  Then, after being introduced by the hosts, team members would do a 'funny' introductory jig.  What came after was the best part: watching the pilot get into the homemade plane and be pushed off the pier by his/her teammates.  The judges would then give a final score. 
            
Secret Project Arrow.
I have to admit, watching homemade flying machines falling spectacularly in water was quite entertaining.  There were many interesting designs but my favourite was Secret Project Arrow's reconstruction of the Avro Arrow.  At the end of the festivities, there was nothing left but a large pile of destroyed planes.  A day well spent. 

Bat Plane.
Third Place ($1500) - Bernache da Goose - N/A
Second Place ($3000) - This Is Bananas! - 84 feet
First Place ($7500) - Sally's Leap of Faith - 129 feet

Field of 'Crushed' Dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment