Saturday, January 11, 2014

Festive December (2013)

"Merry Christmas"
With the arrival of December, everyone in Arctic Bay was getting into the Holiday Spirit.  Christmas decorations, posters, and collages had sprung up along the main hallway, the staff room was completely redecorated, and a Christmas tree was assembled nearby.  Thankfully, no one suggested doing what retail stores down south do every year: play Christmas songs in an endless loop 24/7.  
            
Outside the library.
From a newcomer's point of view, it appeared to me that all the high spirits were a way of taking peoples' minds off the perpetual darkness.  The sun had disappeared behind the mountains back in November but the area was still receiving a mere two to three hours of sunlight at midday.  By this point, Vitamin D tablets are your best friends.  I have to admit that at first, it felt odd to be walking to work at 8am and yet it looked like the time was 8pm.  My mind and body adapted after several days . . . or should I say nights? 
            

For several nights, Arctic Bay played host to a full moon that shined "as brightly as the sun."  It felt as if the town and surrounding areas were under a very bright white streetlight.  If you were out on the land, you wouldn't have to use a flashlight.  I tried several times to get the perfect shot of the moon with my camera but, in my view, the resulting pictures were subpar.        
            
Sled dogs out for a run. Originally taken
on October 30, 2013.
I forgot to mention that the town's sled dog owners moved their litters onto the frozen bay at the end of October.  Periodically, the dogs howled during feeding time or whenever they were bored.  Their big day won't come until April when the sled dog races are held. 
           
The first week of December was the last week for teaching new content because final exams were scheduled for the following week.  Thanks to hard work and persistence, my Grade 10 Social Studies students finished the Staking The Claim Unit.  The last few chapters dealt with looking towards the future for Nunavut and it's youth.  With the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement in place, it is up to Inuit youth to make sure it's being implemented and followed by the GN and the federal government in Ottawa.  But before they can do that, Inuit youth need to complete their academic studies and know how 'the system' works.
            
My Grade 11 Social Studies students finished the Quality of Life unit and had a review test.  Some did well, some not so well.  I also gave them time to catch up on any class work they may have missed.  From there we went on to review the entire semester.
            

The drummers and I spent the first two weeks of December practicing in the gym.  The Christmas concert was just around the corner and we needed to make sure everything was ready.  The timings, rhythms, and tricks got better with every passing day.  By the end of the second week, I felt we were ready for the concert.  My drummers also had their last performance test of the semester, where they were required to play intermediate level rudiments, and two drum pieces.  They all scored high marks. 
            

Friday, December 6 was the day my Grade 12 Social Studies students presented their projects to a panel of judges.  I would lead the panel.  I had asked several teachers and community members if they would like sit on the panel and managed to get four volunteers: the principal of Inuujaq School, the town's mental health nurse, and a GN worker.  The four presentations took place in my classroom after school.  My students' projects centered on: Inuit artists, photographers, and singers; Inuit living around the world; Inuit history; and Inuit & suicide.  They had 20 minutes each to present their essays, products, and field questions from the judges panel.  They would be marked on: language & delivery, organization, content, media technology use, and responses to the panel. 
            
I could spend an entire post writing about the presentations but I'll just say that my students did alright.  Their content and organization were fine but they just needed to have more eye contact and speak a little louder.  After dismissing my students at the conclusion of the presentations, I collected all the marking sheets from the panel judges and thanked them again for taking the time out of their busy schedules to volunteer.  I would review the marking sheets over the weekend and decide whether the presenters deserved a passing grade.  My Grade 12s would not have a final exam.
            
At the beginning of the semester, I was surprised that one of my students chose to investigate the reasons behind the high suicide rate in Nunavut.  Examining such a topic can be difficult, emotionally & physically.  What I've learned from reading news articles and listening to personal stories is that when an Inuk takes their life, it affects the entire community and beyond.  I regularly checked in with her to make sure the research & writing processes weren't causing too much stress and/or grief.  Thankfully, this did not happen.      
            
Suicide is a problem of epidemic proportions in the north, with the rate among Nunavut Inuit being 13 times higher than the national average.  The 2013-year saw a record number of suicides: 45.  The reasons behind the suicides (ie. Why they did it?) are the same as down south, except the reasons why the rate is higher in the north is difficult to pinpoint.  Recently, Inuit youth have been complaining that the mental-health services in place are inadequate in dealing with the problem.  Likewise, members of the Canadian Armed Forces have been saying the same thing recently after a rash of suicides over the Christmas Holidays.  I don't know what the solution is, but something needs to be done to stop people from taking their own lives.
            
Final exams for high school students happened between December 11 and 13.  Only my Grade 10 & 11 Social Studies students had to write an exam.  I spent many hours over the weekend reviewing all the materials and selected the most important information to include on the exams.  On Monday & Tuesday, I reviewed the selected content without giving away the exact answers.  I stressed that the exams were not open-book, so my students needed to study, study, study!  On 'the day of judgement', I gave both classes two hours to write their exams.  Thankfully, all my students heeded my instruction to only look at their exams, otherwise they would have had to wear state-of-the-art anti-cheating devices.  (See picture to the left).  I spent the following weekend marking exams, class work, and entering final marks & comments into the school's computer system.

Qudlik
Before the conclusion of the semester, the staff of Inuujaq School had a Christmas potluck dinner on the evening of December 12.  The high school science room had been converted into a dining room, complete with Christmas & table decorations.  Staff were required to bring their own dishes/plates and cutlery.  There were many foods to choose from: meats, fish, chili, soup, vegetables, stuffing, bread, rice, salads, and many desserts.  Most of the food was homemade but some items were store bought.  After saying Grace, everyone lined up and filled their plates and bowls with food.  The food was so good, we all went back for seconds and thirds. 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment