Sunday, March 9, 2014

PI Week In Iqaluit


Famous Inuk country singer - 1953-2008.
I woke up very early on the morning February 16th, eager and excited to begin Professional Improvement (PI) Week in Iqaluit.  Of course, I first had to get there by plane.  Before I was given a ride to the airport, I ate a small breakfast and checked my suitcase to see that everything I needed was inside.  When it was time to go, I switched off all the lights and locked up.  I was one of the first Arctic Bay passengers to arrive at the airport.  The First Air flight flying down to Iqaluit originates from Resolute (Bay).  On this flight there were plenty of Resolute passengers.  The three hour flight to Iqaluit was uneventful; mostly everyone slept.  All regular passenger/cargo flights to and from Arctic Bay are serviced by First Air.  It is possible to charter a plane, but it will cost you quite a bit. 
            
I was the only teacher flying down to Iqaluit for PI.  The remaining teaching staff of Inuujaq School had chosen to remain in town.  I can understand because travelling outside the community is an expensive endeavour in the north.  The Nunavut Teachers Association (NTA) provides money for PI activities but there is a set amount for each northern community.  I was able to get the maximum designated sum for Arctic Bay but this only amounted to the cost of my round-trip plane ticket.  Basically, hotel, food, and other expenses were my responsibility.       
            

It was a clear sunny day in Iqaluit when the plane touched down on the paved runway at around noon.  I took in the familiar sites as the turboprop taxied off the runway and parked near a large First Air hanger.  Passengers disembarked and were driven to the main terminal by bus.  I was greeted by Verna and her husband Jim.  Verna works as an English/Social Studies teacher at Inuksuk High School and greatly assisted me when I taught there during the 2012-13 school year.  They gave me a ride to the Frobisher Inn, thus saving me $6 on a taxi ride.  (For $6, a taxi will take you anywhere in Iqaluit.  Keep in mind that it's $6 per person, per ride).  They invited me for a traditional Newfoundland dinner at their residence later that evening.  The food was delicious.
            
The ravens are big and everywhere
in the north.
There are several hotels to choose from when travelling to Iqaluit.  After researching my options, the Frobe (as it's locally known) turned out to be the least expensive.  Plus, the hotel is conveniently located in the centre of town.  The other hotels are: Discovery Lodge, Capital Suites, and Hotel Arctic.
            


Creekside Village.
Iqaluit hasn't changed much since I last ventured outside the town's airport in June 2013.  The town is a metropolis compared to Arctic Bay, with many amenities, vehicle traffic, and people.  There were a few noticeable differences when I explored the town on foot.  First, several new residential complexes were being built around the town centre.  A new row of houses being built on top of the previous row that had infamously burned down in February 2012 were nearing completion in the residential area known as Creekside Village.  Back in June 2013, only the steel pipe foundations were constructed.  As well, The Marketplace, (formerly known as Arctic Ventures), has stopped playing 'annoying' music in an effort to keep loiterers away from the main entrance.  Perhaps the general store no longer needs to carry on with the practice?  (I have mentioned this procedure several times in my Iqaluit blog).  Probably the most noticeable difference was the persistent presence of English speech.                
Beef Plate - Yummy Shawarma
When it came to food, I had plenty of options.  Iqaluit has several grocery stores, convenience stores, and fast food/formal restaurants.  If I really wanted to 'push the envelope' I could order room service.  I spent a good portion of my time eating at Yummy Shawarma, dining on sliced beef, vegetables, humus, garlic sauce, and other Lebanese delicacies.  I've had a shawarma craving since high school, which is inevitable when you live in Ottawa, a city that has become the 'Shawarma Capital of the World' over the last decade.  The staff at Yummy won't be forgetting my face anytime soon.
            
The Royal Canadian Legion is known as the place to be if you're in the mood to party and want good food.  On Wednesday, I joined a few friends at the Legion for wings and drinks.  For a good low price, you get a plate of twenty wings and a variety of sauces to choose from.  I chose the hot sauce.  We went back the following night for karaoke in the lounge section.  The place was packed with people who could sing.  And no, I did not get up and sing.  That'll never happen.  As for hotel room service, I only ordered something from the dinner menu on my last night in Iqaluit.  I had the 12oz Black Angus steak meal and it was awesome!  I was tempted by the Arctic Char meal but I just can't say no to steak.
            
Since coming to the north two years ago, it feels like mental health and the problems associated with it have taken centre stage all over the western world.  Everybody seems to be talking about it, in newspapers, journals, books, on the Internet, and in regular conversation.  To get a better understanding of mental health and be trained to respond to mental health situations at school, I signed up for a mental health first aid course in Iqaluit.  The three-day seminar was scheduled to take place at Joamie Middle School but the course was suddenly cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.  Naturally, the teachers who signed up were disappointed by the unexpected announcement.  Hopefully, another workshop will be organized in the future.  To make up for lost time, I completed an online course that taught teachers how to better engage parents.  The course was done through ASCD.  If teachers and parents work together then the students benefit the most because they get the academic support & encouragement they need to succeed.       
            
It wouldn't be a trip to Iqaluit without visiting the high school where my northern adventure began in 2012.  Since it was PI Week, there were no regular classes at Inuksuk High School and only the teaching staff were present.  My former colleagues were surprised and delighted to see me.  I also briefly met Terry, the former principal who is now the president of the Nunavut Teachers Association
            
I only met a few of my former students around town.  Some were volunteering at Joamie Middle School, helping the staff run the sports day camp, while others were working at the NorthMart and The Marketplace.  I guess many were out on the land, had travelled down south, or were just taking it easy at home. 
            

On Saturday, February 22, I checked out of the Frobisher Inn and got a taxi ride to the airport.  The terminal was packed with people, with flights heading to Ottawa and many northern communities.  I noticed several Inuit teaching staff from Inuujaq School were waiting for the Arctic Bay flight.  They had travelled down to Iqaluit several days earlier for medical appointments.  The Arctic Bay-Resolute flight was full; the people on standby would have to wait until Monday.  The Inuit passengers were bringing back a lot of things that one cannot buy in Arctic Bay, such as, Timbits.  As for me, I bought plenty of school supplies but mailed them back in a big box.  They would arrive the following week.  Although the plane felt cramped, the three-hour flight passed without incident.                      
Industrial Area.

Overall, I had a fun week in Iqaluit.  It was a working week but also a short vacation.  The weather was cold and windy but there was a lot of sun.  I hung out with old friends, ate good food, and learned how to be a better teacher. 
        
This is off topic, but since it's now March, I think it's time to make the announcement.  In previous posts, I mentioned that I had applied for a $10K MusiCounts Band Aid Grant.  The money goes towards purchasing new instruments and repairing those instruments that are in use.  Any school in Canada can apply for a $6K or $10K grant.  I'm happy to announce that Inuujaq School was one of only two Nunavut schools that were awarded the grant.  The other was Qaqqalik School in Kimmirut.  The task ahead is to decide what new instruments to purchase.        


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! "Who dares, wins..." as they say. That is quite a substantial award. Once all of your main bases are covered, perhaps there will be enough leftover for some unusual percussion instruments that could be used in more complex arrangements (guiros, cabasa, claves, bongos, tambourines, various bells, chimes, shakers, etc). They are generally inexpensive and quite durable, though I have to remember that everything *becomes* expensive once it travels thousands of miles to reach you. In any event, excellent job. It sounds like you really knocked it out of the park with your grant application. :-)

    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete