Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Continued


All my Halloween candy was ordered from Well.ca.  The individual prices and added shipping costs were reasonable.  I bought several more boxes than usual so that I wouldn't run out.  I gave out candy too liberally last year and was forced to ration near the end.  This time, I restricted myself to giving out two pieces of candy for each trick-or-treater.  I filled up two large grey bowls with candy and changed back into my costume.  I sat patiently at the door and waited for the clock to strike 5pm.  The southern teachers are "targeted" first by trick-or-treaters.
            
As I mentioned last year, knocking on doors before entering a house is a southern custom.  The local Inuit mostly keep their doors unlocked and people just walk in.  If you don't want to entertain any visitors then lock your door(s).  At about five minutes after five, the steady stream of trick-or-treaters began.  It was dark, cold, and snowy outside.  Trick-or-treaters were being chauffered around on skidoos, atvs, and in cars & trucks.  I left my door unlocked and greeted the kids and parents who courageously walked in to get candy.  There were a few kids who didn't dare to approach me until I presented an open palm with two pieces of candy.
            
I'm so using this costume again, I remarked to myself.
            
I stopped getting visitors at about 6:30pm.  I had gone through many boxes of candy but there were still many leftover.  If I had known how many would show up, I wouldn't have been too conservative.  It's a battle you can never win; you either run out or left with too much.  I would use the leftover candy as rewards at school and consume some myself.
            

I changed out of my costume for a second time and put on casual clothes.  I left my skidoo at home and walked down to the Community Hall to watch the community costume contest.  The contest is something out of this world.  I finally learned that contestants are trying to win for the Best Worst Dressed.  That would explain all the random/creepy designs.  I think contestants just look through their houses, throw whatever into a pile, and then make a costume out of it all.  They make sure to cover their faces so that the audience does not know who they are until the very end.
            

I sat at the back of the hall armed with my digital camera.  The contestants slowly trickled in and took their seats in front of the stage.  I could spend an entire blog post or two describing the costumes, so I'll let my pictures "do the talking."  Most of the contestants' faces were covered with Halloween masks; everything else they were wearing were just . . . whatever.  Some were also dragging or carrying other items.
            

Contestants were divided into two age groups: 13 & under, and 14 & over.  Each one wore a number attached to their costume so they could be easily identified by the judges.  Both groups paraded around the hall, letting the audience look at their costumes, and enjoy their dancing antics set to music.  The hall filled with laughter.                                   
            

The Judges debate & decide the Top 3
from both age groups.
The contestants took their seats and the judges on stage debated for a few minutes.  There were a lot of good bad costumes so I could understand if the judges were having a tough time ranking the best worst dressed.  However, I was surprised that it only took them a few minutes to come to an agreement.  The top three contestants of both age groups received cash prizes.  They came up on stage one-by-one, shook the judges' hands, and removed their masks to reveal their true identities.  Some correctly guessed the people behind the masks while the majority did not. 
            
The Judges announce the winners.
The next activity was the candy toss.  The judges took large bags of candy and took up  positions along the corners of the hall and on stage.  After a very short countdown, they collectively threw candy up in the air towards the people in front of them.  Children, teenagers, and adults scrambled to catch and pick up as much candy and chocolate as possible.  I stood off to the side and filmed the entire spectacle; I didn't need any extra candy.  Regardless, I caught one piece that was flying in my direction.
            
I left the community hall after the candy toss and walked home.  The hall was cleaned up & organized for the evening dance.   

    
End of Halloween Mini-Series

No comments:

Post a Comment