Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Operation Spring Fix 16 – Part 1

Warning: This post contains descriptions & pictures that some may find graphic.
            

Another weekend, another camping trip.  I’ve been quite the outdoorsman this year.  I do not know how I did it, but I managed to correct all my final exams, and input all marks & comments in the school’s computer system before Friday, May 27.  (Teachers were instructed to have their report cards done at the end of the week).  I didn’t have time to rest because I had a cadet weekend field training exercise (FTX) to attend & lead.
            
Planning & preparations for Operation Spring Fix 16 began in April.  A meeting was held between the adult staff and the Canadian Rangers.  We discussed where to go, what to bring, and how many Rangers we could recruit for the land trip.  Rangers are required for polar protection and assistance.  They know the land better than anyone else.  (When the Canadian military conducts exercises in the north, the Rangers always participate because they teach the soldiers how travel and survive in this harsh, unforgiving environment.) 

I had wanted to go to Levasseur Inlet last year but certain circumstances prevented the plan from going forward.  I suggested the area again when we were discussing possible locations but we settled on Ijuyuarjuk, a landlocked lake 70km south of Arctic Bay.  Levasseur Inlet was closer but the Rangers argued Ijuyuarjuk was a good staging area for seal hunting, fishing, and hiking.  The bonfire would still be at Levasseur Inlet because the firewood had already been transported to that location.  I had driven by the lake on my way down to Ikpikituarjuk but I had yet to camp there.  This would be my first time. 

The camping supplies & equipment were collected two weeks in advance and the participating cadets received their assigned kit (ie. Sleeping bags, air mattresses, duffel bags) a week in advance.  The tents & Coleman stoves were checked for deficiencies and the cadets prepared their sleeping bags in the school gym.  Everything was securely stored at the school until Friday.  Gas and oil was purchased the day before we left.      

The commanding officer of 3045 designated me as the FTX’s Officer of Primary Interest (OPI) for the weekend.  (I was in charge).  For adult staff, I would have two Rangers, a civilian instructor (CI), and a civilian volunteer.  JF was the volunteer.  It would be our job to look after twelve cadets.


Everyone assembled in front of the Northern Store at 6pm.  The cadets loaded everything into four qamutiks (sleds).  Ranger Samson oversaw the packing of the qamutiks; certain items have to be packed/tied in specific places.  The cadets formed up for roll call and a quick briefing.  The commanding officer wished everyone a fun time out on the land and not to be hard on the OPI.  When the cadets were dismissed, they found seats on the four qamutiks.  The skidoos were brought to life and the drive to Ijuyuarjuk began.

Ranger Samson led the way.  I felt assured following him because he knows where the best travelling routes are and how to properly cross cracks in the ice.  Overall, I did alright last week when I was travelling to Ikpiki, but I still think I need more practice crossing ice cracks.  We followed the same route to Ikpiki.  We took two short rest stops between Arctic Bay and the Pirujiningit Islands.  He would signal the convoy by raising his right arm with a closed fist, indicating that we would be stopping. 


Ranger Samson spotted a baby seal poking its head out of a seal hole.  He signaled everyone to stop.  We all turned off our engines.  He unslung his high powered rifle and took aim.  Deafening silence enveloped the entire area.  He fired his gun, causing a loud bang to echo across the landscape.  We quickly turned on our skidoos and drove over to the dead baby seal floating in the hole.  Ranger Samson pulled the seal out of the blood filled hole and laid it on the ice.  He had shot it between the eyes.  The baby seal would provide delicious country food for everyone.  The seal was tied to the back of the qamutik towed by Samson.  We continued on our journey.      


Tea Time.
It was now twice as easy to follow Ranger Samson.  I could keep an eye on the qamutik he was pulling and follow the “Red Drip Road”.  (Blood was still dripping from the seal’s head).  The crossing of “The Crack” before Levasseur Inlet was easier this time because Ranger Samson turned off the ice and led us across the land, bypassing it entirely.  I briefly looked to my right and noticed “The Crack” had grown in the last week.  We stopped for tea & donuts.  The delicious donuts were made by the father of one of the cadets. 

Tea Time.
White McPherson Tents.
CI Reid & JF pitching the green
tent.
We arrived at Ijuyuarjuk at 11:15pm.  The sun was still up but the sky was covered with white clouds.  Everyone stretched their legs before getting to work on pitching tents.  CI Reid, JF, & I would sleep in a green arctic five-person tent.  The female & male cadets would sleep in separate white McPherson tents.  A third McPherson tent would be the kitchen and storage place.  Ranger Samson would sleep in his own tent.  When the tents were pitched, sleeping bags, air mattresses, and personal kit were moved in.  Reid, JF, and I were lucky to be given cots to sleep on.  I took a moment to appreciate my surroundings after I moved all my gear into my tent.  Behind us stood a large valley and the very tall Nauyat Cliff.  Conducting a hike the following day looked very likely.

Nauyat Cliff
By the time the camp was set up, the date was Saturday, May 28.  We were done a few minutes after midnight.  I could tell we were all starting to get tired but we were also hungry.  Ranger Samson also noticed this and he cut open the baby seal with a knife.  We all stood around the animal and began cutting pieces of raw meat.  The meat was tasteless but filling.  I ate quite a few pieces.  So did JF.  “People down south don’t know what they’re missing,” I commented.


We stayed up until 1am.  Reveille was set for 8am.    

To Be Continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment