Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Week of Snow & Premier Visit


"♫Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.♫"
            
September 11 - 17 was a week full of snow.  On the ground & in the air.  I think "Old Man Winter" didn't want to wait until October and decided to pay Arctic Bay an early visit.  The snow began to fall on the evening of the 11th and continued through the night.  I had to get out my big winter boots to step through all the snow that had piled on my front porch.  My skidoo was still in storage so I had to walk to school.  Snow continued to fall later in the day.
            

I took out my camera while walking home after school and snapped photos of falling snowflakes, and snow covered rooftops & vehicles.  There were quite a few vehicles that were stuck in the snow or had spun out because of the slippery conditions.  The Hamlet Office had to go on local radio and Facebook to announce the closure of all roads until the snow stopped falling.  The roads would then be plowed, followed by the dumping of soil & small rocks.  These would allow vehicle tires to better grip.              
            
The roads were still closed the following day (September 13).  The school bus wasn't in operation and parents did not want to risk driving their children to school.  We all had to walk that morning.  The roads were reopened in the afternoon.  My skidoo was brought to me from the Gas Station.  I drove it back to buy gas. 
            

There was another large snow dump on Thursday, September 15.  There was snow everywhere.  My porch was buried and there was frozen snow hanging over the roof above my front door.  Several small icicles had formed along my door frame.  Naturally, I took many photographs before sweeping all the snow off the tarp that covered my skidoo.  I revved the skidoo engine and drove to work.  I shoveled and brushed all the snow off my porch, wooden rails, and wooden garbage bin after school.
            

Premier Peter Taptuna and three MLAs - Members of the Legislative Assembly - visited Arctic Bay on Friday, September 16.    (The Premier is also an MLA).  They were in town for an afternoon meet-and-greet at the Hamlet Office and to discuss future infrastructure projects in the community.  (The event had to be held at the Hamlet Office because the community hall was booked in advance for a Bible conference.)  My principal granted me permission to attend the meet-and-greet because it was happening during my prep period.  Sarah & her Grade 9 students also attended the event.
            
Country food - raw arctic char & narwhal.
The chairs & tables in the meeting room were pushed to the sides, forming a large open space in the middle.  There were snacks, tea, coffee, bannock, and country food (raw char & narwhal) for community members.  The meeting room slowly filled with elders, adults, children, and students.  I sat next to a window and spotted the premier walking towards the Hamlet Office.  He and the other MLAs were talking at the breakwater pier.  Upon entering the meeting room, they walked around and greeted everyone with a handshake. 
            
Long time Arctic Bay resident Frank May
meets MLA Joe Savikataaq, again.
The three accompanying MLAs were: George Kuksuk, George Hickes, & Joe Savikataaq.  They are all cabinet ministers.  Mr. Kuksuk handles three departments: Culture & Heritage, Languages, and the Nunavut Housing Corporation.  Mr. Hickes looks after two departments: Health, and Suicide Prevention.  And Mr. Savikataaq is also responsible for three departments: Community & Government Services, Environment, and Energy.  He is also the Nunavut Chair for the Hudson Bay Roundtable.  Isaac Shooyook, the MLA for the Quttiktuq constituency, was also present.  He represents Arctic Bay in the Legislative Assembly.    
            
Sarah (right) speaks with Premier
Taptuna (left).
This was my first time meeting the Premier of Nunavut and his three cabinet ministers.  I introduced myself and shook each of their hands.  I explained that I was a teacher and have been teaching at Inuujaq School for the last three & a half years.  I introduced Sarah to the Premier. 
            



The meet-and-greet officially began with MLA Shooyook introducing the Premier and his cabinet ministers to the audience in Inuktitut.  Arctic Bay resident & local translator Mishak Allurut translated his words into English.  The mayor, Geela Arnauyumayuq, also stood at the front.  Sarah & her Grade 9 students sat on the floor in the middle of the room.
            
New health centre.
The visiting guests spoke in English & Inuktitut, explaining their roles in the Nunavut Government, and what the people of Arctic Bay can look forward to in the future.  The most notable & visible construction project at the moment is the new health centre.  The building, roughly 3 times bigger than the old health centre, is quickly taking shape.  If the pace is maintained, the new medical facility should be up and running by late 2017.
            

Construction piles for five-plexes
(left & right sides)
The other two projects that have just started are the two new five-plex buildings being built next to the new health centre.  The piles have just been inserted into the ground, reaching bed rock, and the construction materials for the actual buildings have been brought on site.  One five-plex will be for the nurses and the other will be for public housing.  These five units are not enough to alleviate the overcrowding situation, but it's better than nothing.
            
The mayor was happy that her funding request for a concrete floor inside the hockey arena was approved.  The indoor ice rink was built in 1996 without a concrete floor.  This prevented people from using the arena for sports during the summer.  A concrete floor would enable the city to also purchase turf to be placed on top of it, thus forming a makeshift soccer field.
            
The Grade 9 students had questions about the future possibility of a youth centre & high school being built.  The Premier encouraged the students to work with the Hamlet Office and the youth committee on coming up with a plan before asking for funding.  As for a new high school, the MLAs said that a new school will only get built if a high rate of attendance is maintained.
            
The elders and adults spoke about the need for better communication between MLAs & their constituents and better job opportunities for youth & adults.  Unfortunately, I had to head back to school at this point in the meeting.  I wanted to stay longer but I had to instruct my drummers.  Premier Taptuna and his cabinet ministers were supposed to leave later in the day, but low visibility & snow postponed their flight until the following day.  Overall, the meet-and-greet was nice, but it would have also been beneficial if the Premier and his ministers visited the school and met the students.
            
Saturday, September 17 was the last day of the "Week of Snow."  I had to brush snow off the tarp covering my skidoo again.  The brushing and shoveling all week was tedious but at least I was able to get around town on my skidoo.
            


It's surprising to think that 15 years have already passed since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.  The 15th anniversary of that tragic day occurred on a Sunday this year.  I could have done something on the Friday or Monday with my students to mark the occasion but nothing materialized.  There are some moments in time you never forget and I still remember where I was on that day - in high school, staring out a window, looking at morning traffic when the first plane hit the World Trade Center (WTC).  I was in my second period class when the second plane struck the second tower of the WTC.  I didn't believe the rumors that were flying around until the principal made the announcement over the intercom.  Everything was confirmed when I arrived home to see my parents and brother there.  My parents had been sent home early from work. 

            
Much has changed since that dreadful day, but I feel that it will be many more years before everyone in the world will get along.  I just hope it happens within my lifetime.    

No comments:

Post a Comment