Thursday, November 16, 2017

Remembrance Day (2017)



November 11, 2017.  Remembrance Day.  A day to remember the men & women of the armed forces who have died in the line of duty.  The day was created after the First World War and is observed by the Commonwealth of Nations.  Countries outside the Commonwealth hold similar ceremonies on different days of the year.
            
Every year, 3045 Army Cadet Corps of Arctic Bay organizes a Remembrance Day ceremony at the local community hall.  A fair amount of planning, preparation, and coordination goes into making the ceremony a success.  The good news is that the corps has done it so many times that what needs to be done before has become routine.  The only things that change are the people involved.
            
The corps staff and cadets arrived at the community hall at 9:30am.  We immediately went to work setting up chairs, tables, and pasting Remembrance Day posters & decorations around the hall.  (Inuujaq School students prepared many Remembrance Day themed decorations a week in advance and donated them for the ceremony).  Everything was ready to go by 10:30am.  The cadets changed into their green dress uniforms while the hall slowly filled with people.  I would be the emcee.
            

The parade started at 10:45am with the Entrance of the Colour Party, followed by the Marching On of the Parade.  The cadets marched in a single file and halted next to the flag party.  They were followed by both local RCMP officers.  Rev. Aigah Attagutsiak led the Opening Prayer.  In my opening address, I welcomed everyone to the ceremony, and explained briefly explained the importance & significance of Remembrance Day.  This was followed by the playing of “O Canada”.
            

First Bible Reading.
Everyone took their seats and listened to the first Bible reading, read in English & Inuktitut.  This was followed by the hymn “Abide With Me”.  I was unable to find good recorded version on the Internet so I did the next best thing: I played the hymn on the piano and everyone sang to the music. 
            
Everyone stood up for the Last Post, Minute of Silence, Piper’s Lament, and Reveille.  I played the recordings off my tablet.  For the cadets on parade, getting through this section requires standing at attention for six minutes.  We practiced a few times before the ceremony.
            
Act of Remembrance Readers.
Irene Swoboda (left).
The Act Of Remembrance was read in English, French, and Inuktitut.  This was followed by another Bible reading.  Long time Arctic Bay resident Irene Swoboda spoke about her thoughts on Remembrance Day, talking about her relatives who fought in the First & Second World Wars.
            
New on the program was a live performance of “Pass Me My Boots,” a song written by Robyn Gillespie.  Robyn is a member of the musical duo Robyn & Ryleigh.  When I asked her what the song was about she had this to say:
            
Robyn Gillespie performs "Pass Me My Boots".
“Learning of the history of war was heart-wrenching.  I learned of the devastation and loss.  During this time in my life, I was an aspiring singer/songwriter.  I wanted to write a song for the soldiers and the sacrifice they made.  This song has been performed all over Canada and the United States. The reactions from audiences remind me why I wrote it: to spark emotion and to honour all the lives lost in war.” 
            
MCpl S. Pauloosie (left) and Kataisee Attagutsiak (right).
I assigned cadet Master Corporal S. Pauloosie to speak about the significance of wearing the poppy on Remembrance Day, the life of Lt. Col. John McCrae, and McCrae’s most famous poem, “In Flander’s Field.”  K. Attagutsiak translated in Inuktitut.  Three cadets recited the famous poem to the audience.
            
RCMP places a wreath.
Two cadets and the local RCMP laid wreaths in front of the podium.  Members of the public were also welcome to place their own wreaths up at the front.  I went back to the piano and provided the instrumental accompaniment for the hymn “O God Our Help In Ages Past.”  Everyone stood for the playing of “God Save The Queen”.  Lt. F. May concluded the ceremony with the Closing Remarks.  The RCMP & the cadets were marched off the parade.  The audience applauded their performance. 
           

A short reception was held after the ceremony with donuts, cupcakes, cake, tarts, coffee, tea, and water.  I had a group photo of the corps taken before I dismissed the cadets to the reception.  Several audience members came up to me to congratulate me on another successful service.  I’m certain they said the same thing to the cadets.  The corps cleaned the community hall after the reception and the cadets were dismissed for the day.


LEST WE FORGET.



No comments:

Post a Comment