Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Early October (2018)


The vice-principal wasn’t embarrassed by the pink streaks in his hair.  He told me he already held a suspicion that the students would surpass the $900 fundraising goal when the challenge was announced.  His wife did the pink streaks.  Unfortunately, they didn’t have enough pink dye to do his whole head.  Regardless, everyone noticed and liked his new hairstyle.  The Terry Fox Foundation thanked Inuujaq School for participating in this year’s run and for the $1600 donation. 
            
3045 Army Cadets recruited a large number of new cadets to its ranks in September.  With the arrival of October, the corps’ first Parents Night Parade of the 2018-19 training year was fast approaching.  The corps held a Boot Polishing Night on October 10 to give the new recruits extra time to polish their boots and work on their uniforms.  They also conquered the following challenges: ironing a uniform, forming a beret, and tying a tie.  I told all the new recruits that it was the cadet program that taught me how to tie a tie.  Uniforms had to be ironed indoors because the Department of National Defence isn’t onboard with extreme ironing . . . yet.
            

Winter officially arrived in Arctic Bay on October 11.  I’m not sure how much snow fell but it was a lot.  My skidoo & front porch were completely covered.  I’m glad my skidoo was covered by a tarp.  There had to be about a foot of snow on my porch because I had to spend about 30 minutes shovelling it all off.  A couple of vehicles got stuck in the snow before the snowplows came to the rescue.  Skidoo season is finally here!  I no longer have to walk to school every day.  I will have to restrict to driving in town because the bay doesn’t freeze until 2 – 3 weeks later.
            

Early October also means that midterms are just around the snow bank.  I couldn’t believe that the halfway point in the semester was really close.  The later half of 2018 is flying by really fast.  My Grade 10 English students were finishing their novel study of Farley Mowat’s Lost In The Barrens.  My Grade 10 Social Studies students were almost done learning about the four northern Inuit land claims agreements.  And my drummers were busy getting ready for their first concert on Halloween.  We will be playing three cadences as a group.  Several drummers and I will also be playing a solo each.  My drum students are getting more confident with their abilities.  Lucky for them, Halloween gives you permission to wear a mask, thus reducing feelings of stage fright. 
           
Several teachers and I came together to celebrate Thanksgiving.  The potluck event was organized by the literary coach.  She provided the place & turkey; we had to bring the side dishes.  I brought smoked salmon.  The get together was a nice way to take a break from routine.  We could have eaten at the local inn but that would cost $60 a plate.  And the menu is whatever they serve.  We were all stuffed at the end of the potluck.        

No comments:

Post a Comment