Monday, May 20, 2019

National Marksmanship Competition – Part 6


The competition may be over but the story isn’t.  There’s still the matter of getting home.  As I’ve mentioned before, when you live far above the 60th parallel, travelling anywhere is an adventure on its own.
            
Everyone had to get up at 5am on May 10 because many things needed to get done before the buses arrived at 7:15am.  The mess hall helped by starting breakfast earlier than usual.  Once everyone was fed, Rainbow Block needed to be cleaned.  All used bedding was placed in cleaning bins and garbage was brought outside for disposal.  Luggage & rifle cases were labelled, brought outside, and organized into piles.  Cadets were required to travel in uniform and officers in CADPAT fatigues.
            
The buses arrived at 7:10am.  My cadets were ready.  We looked tired but there would be plenty of time to sleep on the plane.  All around us, cadets, officers, and civilian coaches were saying their goodbyes.  I already said my farewells to the officers that were my roommates for the past week.  I thanked them for the rules & suggestions they gave me for increasing the skill levels of my cadets and to better improve their chances of reaching the top of the shooting ranks.     

We loaded our gear & boarded our assigned bus.  The bus convoy departed Work Point at 7:30am.  We arrived at Victoria Airport at 8am.  The airport is actually located to the north of Victoria next to the town of Sidney.  Everyone disembarked and unloaded their luggage and rifle cases.  We spent some time filling out firearm declaration forms even though air rifles aren’t classified as firearms.  The airlines treat anything that looks like a gun as a gun.  We were the last ones to check in because our flight to Vancouver wasn’t until 11:30am.  We spent two hours glued to our phones before we were called to board the plane.

Our flight to Vancouver took 30 minutes.  We walked around the terminal, did some shopping, and then proceeded to our gate.  We boarded the plane to Ottawa at 2pm.  The flight across the country was mostly uneventful.  I drifted in and out of sleep.  Mastering the art of sleeping in the sitting position is still a work-in-progress for me.

The plane touched down at 9:40pm.  We collected our luggage and rifle cases in the Arrivals Area and caught the shuttle to the hotel.  We retreated to our rooms for the night and got much-needed rest.




Sunrise over Ottawa.
The journey home continued on the morning of May 11.  I let my cadets travel in civilian clothing.  We checked out of the hotel at 6:30am and caught the airport shuttle at 6:45am.  We checked in and made it through security without difficulty.  We were up in the air flying towards Iqaluit at 9:30am.

Iqaluit.
The plane touched down just after noon and taxied to the terminal building.  We bought lunch at the Tundra Takeout restaurant in the airport lobby.  We met a few familiar faces before boarding the plane to Arctic Bay at 2pm. 

Iqaluit Airport.
Our final flight was alright.  The only thing that surprised me was that the plane flew really close to the old Nansivik Airport.  The pilots usually follow Adams Sound before the final approach.  I guess they wanted to fly a different path this time.

We were greeted by Frank, parents, and friends inside the Arctic Bay terminal.  Everyone was glad we made it home on time.  The parents thanked me for looking after their children for the past 9 days.  I was driven home by Frank who asked me what transpired in Esquimalt?  I gave him a brief summary.

Old Nanisivik Airport.
Once again, I would like to thank my civilian employer for granting me leave to supervise & coach the cadets in Victoria, B.C.  The National Marksmanship Competition was an eye-opening experience and I learned a lot.  I took a lot of informative & memorable photographs of the trip, many of which are posted on this blog.  Positive changes to 3045’s marksmanship program are coming after the summer. 


End of National Marksmanship Competition mini-series.

No comments:

Post a Comment