Saturday, September 28, 2019

Operation Hill Top 19 – Part 2

The Rangers' Tent.

Those who rode in the back of the pickup trucks had to pull their hoods up to protect themselves against the cold wind.  The Nanisivik Airport sits at an altitude of 2,069ft above sea level.  It took us about 10 minutes to drive down to the Second Bridge.  We were greeted by the first-year cadets.  The second-year cadets returned their red backpacks to the Supply/Command tent.
            
A short period of rest followed.  I asked the first-year cadets if they enjoyed the 7km hike?  I think all of them said yes.  The senior cadets got to work firing up the Coleman stoves and boiling two large pots of water.  There were going to be many mouths to feed for dinner due to the arrival of the first-year cadets.  American-made MREs were on the menu.  For some junior cadets, this would be their first time trying military rations.  In the military, junior ranks usually eat first.  I made sure everyone had a meal before selecting an MRE bag.
            

After dinner I had all the cadets form up near the road for a group photograph.  The sun was setting and I wanted to get a good picture before the sun disappeared behind a mountain.  The two Rangers also joined in.  We all faced the sun so that my camera could clearly capture our faces.  I set the timer to 10 seconds and ran to my spot before the camera snapped a picture.  The second attempt produced the best picture.  I’m glad I didn’t trip and fall down. 
            

On Friday, when the cadets were loading all the camping equipment into trucks, I made sure to include 4 pylons, two frisbees, and a soccer ball.  FTXs can’t be “all work and no play.”  Time needs to be set aside for cadets to do something else and give instructors a break from teaching.  The Rangers set up the pylons and got the cadets to play a game of ultimate frisbee.  They played the version where you don’t take any steps when in possession of the frisbee.  I chose to observe and document this game for the corps’ Facebook page.  I took pictures and filmed a few short clips.  The game lasted for about an hour.
            

The bonfire began at 7:30pm.  Wood was brought by Frank & his helpers on Friday.  The pieces came from the large wood pile at the shoreline behind the airport.  We would be burning discarded pieces of sealift crates.  The senior cadets assembled the wooden pieces while the junior cadets brought over the bonfire supplies.  On the menu were marshmallows, hot dogs, hot chocolate, juice boxes, and assorted condiments.  The fire was lit using matches and fire starter sticks. 
            
It took some time for the fire to grow into an actual bonfire.  When the fire grew to an acceptable size, the roasting sticks were distributed, and the food was made available for roasting and consumption.  I also joined the festivities, roasting & eating a few hot dogs and marshmallows.
           
About an hour into the bonfire, we spotted a parade of lights coming from the direction of Arctic Bay.  These were headlights from several cars coming to pickup the first-year cadets.  The cars stopped next to the bonfire.  I greeted & thanked the parents for driving all the way out here to take the first-year cadets home.  The cadets said their goodbyes and got into the waiting vehicles.  The convoy left for Arctic Bay.
            

The bonfire continued for another 20 minutes before we began extinguishing the flames.  In the past, we used shovels to dump snow on the glowing embers but with no snow on the ground this year, we were forced to find a safer alternative.  We retrieved the large metal pots from the Supply tent and filled them with water from the nearby river.  We then carried the now heavy pots to the firepit and poured the water onto the embers.  The fire was fully extinguished after several trips.  The remaining bonfire supplies were brought back to the Supply tent.  I dismissed the remaining cadets to their tents for the night.
            

Sunday, September 22 was all about having breakfast and tearing down the camp.  Everyone was up by 8am and breakfast was being served by 9am.  Low hanging clouds surrounded the camp.  I wondered if the sun was shining in Arctic Bay?  The cadets who finished eating early were directed to begin packing their belongings and move everything out of their tents.  The remaining cadets joined later.
            

The teardown of the camp was in full swing just after 10am.  Two piles were created for personal belongings and corps equipment.  The tents were taken down and packed.  By this time Frank arrived with another pickup truck.  One truck was loaded with personal belongings while the corps equipment went into the other truck.  I did a final inspection of the firepit, making sure there were no glowing embers.  The cadets did a garbage sweep of the campsite.  When I was satisfied that the campsite was clean, I instructed the remaining cadets to form up for a quick debriefing.
            
Firepit.
I congratulated the second-year cadets for completing the 7km hike and for taking down the campsite.  I added that they were now prepared to handle the more challenging hikes down south.  I also thanked the two Rangers for keeping us safe from “aggressive wildlife”.  I asked for a few volunteers to help me unload all the corps equipment at Frank’s Shop.  The cadets were then dismissed to find seats on the waiting trucks.  Frank would drive the cadets who didn’t volunteer home.
           
It took me and the cadet volunteers about 20 minutes to unload all the corps equipment from the truck and place them back where we found them.  We also unpacked a white tent and hanged it inside Frank’s Shop to air-out.  The same would be done for the other tents in the coming days.  I dropped the cadets off at their homes before driving to my residence.  I brought all my personal stuff inside and then took a long shower.
            
Overall, Operation Hill Top 19 was a success in my mind.  All our objectives were met and everyone came back alive.

End of Operation Hill Top 19 Mini-Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment