Thursday, April 9, 2020

St. Georges Society Cliffs – Revisited


Taking pictures of the community on March 30 made me think of another place I hadn’t been to in many years: St. Georges Society Cliffs.  The last time I walked along the top of these cliffs was in 2013.  They’re commonly known as ‘The Cliffs’, most likely because saying the official title all the time is exhausting.  Similarly, we just say ‘King George’ instead of King George V Mountain.  I decided to hike to The Cliffs on April 5.  My skidoo was in the shop being fixed so I didn’t have a choice.

Arctic Bay Airport

I packed for a day trip.  My essentials were: GPS, SPOT, batteries, gun, ammunition, machete, binoculars, toilet paper, snacks, juice boxes, Ziploc bags, matches, mirror, and a spare pair of gloves.  I doubted I would encounter aggressive wildlife, but you can never be sure.


I stepped outside, wearing my heavy Canada Goose clothing.  My backpack was full and my .22 rifle was slung across my chest.  The trigger & bolt locks would be removed when I reached the outskirts of town.  There were some clouds in the sky but for the most part, the weather was all sun & clear blue skies.  I was wearing my heavy clothing because I didn’t want to get stuck at The Cliffs, cold, and underdressed.  Even though it’s early spring, the weather can still suddenly change, especially at higher altitudes.

I began my hike at 10:30am.  The community was relatively quiet.  I followed the road to Victor Bay, listening to my boots crunching the snow on the ground.  A pickup truck drove by while I was near the top of the hill where the road crests and can no longer be seen from Arctic Bay.  I wondered if the driver saw my rifle and assumed I was going hunting?  I stopped at the wooden iglutaq I previously photographed and removed the two locks on my rifle.  I loaded a magazine and checked to make sure the safety was still on.  Now I was “packing heat”.   

I walked across a frozen pond, passed the spot where I slid down a hill, and ascended a snow-covered slope.  I’m not sure how much weight I was carrying, but it felt like a lot.  I thought I would be a few pounds lighter by the end of the day.  I continued walking south, looking at all the rocks littering the snowy landscape.  I returned to the place where I photographed Arctic Bay on March 30.  I took several more pictures.


I stopped next to a big rock to catch my breath.  I marked the large boulder on my GPS as a future point of reference.  The GPS was also tracking my every move and displaying the path I was in the process of creating.  I continued walking towards The Cliffs, the crunching sounds of snow being my only companion.  The second big rock I marked on my GPS was on top of another hill.  I hiked up this hill by moving from one small rock to another so that I wouldn’t slip.


I knew I reached The Cliffs when I saw an inuksuk sitting on top of a rock.  However, there was only one.  There were three inuksuks in 2013.  I was certain I was in the right place.  The natural elements must have knocked over the other two.  I took a picture of the remaining inuksuk and then began inspecting The Cliffs.


The Cliffs haven’t changed much in the last 7 years.  In fact, I don’t think they have changed at all.  The land changes very, very slowly.  The Cliffs are still rocky and jagged.  I walked carefully and snapped as many pictures as I could.  I also aimed my camera at the large pyramid shaped mountain on the other side of Adams Sound.  The Sound was completely frozen. 

There were two visible skidoo trails in Adams Sound.  Both began at Arctic Bay on my left but split into two different directions.  The first one extended diagonally across the Sound towards Cape Cunningham while the second lay parallel to The Cliffs.  I spotted two skidoos driving along the first trail.  The second skidoo was pulling a qamutik.  The first skidoo was way ahead of the second one.  I assumed the people down there were going camping / hunting.  They were taking social distancing to the extreme.  I could still hear the engines roaring along even though I was far away.



I sat down and rested for some time.
  The sun was still shining and the sky was mostly blue.  The views of Adams Sound & Admiralty Inlet were great.  There was a very light breeze in the air.  Silence was omnipresent.  It was just me & my thoughts.  My Canada Goose clothing kept me quite warm.  If I had stayed in that spot for a little while longer, I probably would have dozed off.


I continued walking along the edge of The Cliffs and took more pictures.  Suddenly, I spotted a large rock with a giant crack down its centre.  This was my first time seeing this rock.  I was perplexed as to how this giant boulder could have broken into two pieces?  Was it gravity or years & years of slow erosion?  I took a closer look at this giant boulder before returning to photographing The Cliffs.  Satisfied with the many pictures I collected, I turned north, heading inland, towards the hill I ascended at the beginning of the hike.



Victor Bay.
The return walk took me across two small frozen lakes and two rocky hills.  I used my GPS to guide me back to where I started.  The trail I created somewhat resembled an oval.  Victor Bay came into view after an hour of walking.  I photographed the bay, noting a long skidoo trail extending across the entire bay and beyond.  The trail leads to the floe edge.

Victor Bay.

I was able to find the same spot where I slid down a hill (last month) to get to the road to Victor Bay.
  I walked across the same frozen pond but in the opposite direction.  When Arctic Bay came into view I stopped, unloaded my rifle, and placed locks on the trigger & bolt.  I followed the road down to the community.



A large white hare ran across the snow when I entered the community.  It stopped several times to eat and look around.  I used these precious moments to photograph the animal.  The last time I saw it was next to an orange loader.

Overall, I enjoyed my hike to The Cliffs.  I came, I saw, I photographed.  The activity gave me the perfect excuse to go outside & get some exercise for a couple of hours.  I didn’t have to worry about social distancing because I was alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment