Thursday, March 11, 2021

The First Shot

Monday, March 8, was like any other school day with one exception.  I finally received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine!  I didn’t brag or gloat to my students because the vaccine is still restricted to people 18 years and older.  I hope the restriction will be lowered and/or waived in the near future.  There are other vaccines available, but, so far, the Nunavut Government has only purchased & delivered Moderna to all the communities.

My appointment was booked in the evening.  March 8 was actually the first day of the vaccine clinic.  The clinic started in the morning and then paused in the afternoon for 3 hours because of a funeral.  (Afternoon classes were also cancelled). 

The weather had greatly improved since the blizzard on March 3.  I photographed kids playing out on the ice and sled dogs being fed by their owner.  The dogs bark loudly with excitement when it’s feeding time.

I arrived at the community hall at 7:15pm.  Everyone had to wear a facemask.  The people running the clinic requested that people wear short sleeve shirts to make it easier for the nurses to administer the vaccine.  I was greeted by a local resident running an attendance station.  She asked a few questions and checked my name on a list.  She then instructed me to head inside the hall.

The clinic occupied the entire community hall.  The area in front of the stage had been turned into a Waiting & Registration area.  There were already a few people ahead me, signing Vaccine Consent forms.  I was called next by a nurse after waiting a few minutes.  She went through a list of questions pertaining to the Moderna vaccine.  She wanted to know if I had any pre-existing conditions.  I answered no to all the questions and signed the form.  She then directed me to another nurse on the other side of the hall.

The second nurse briefly went over the Vaccine After Care Sheet, explaining possible side effects and what to do if they become severe.  I removed my outer clothing and instructed the nurse to inject the vaccine in my left arm.  Another nurse photographed the injection.  The process lasted less than a minute.


I thanked the nurses, collected my belongings, and moved to a different Waiting Area.  I was required to sit and wait for 15 minutes, just to make sure nothing bad happened.  I received a piece of paper stating my next appointment in April and a school safe cookie.  There was also juice available, but I wasn’t thirsty.

The 15-minute wait came and went.  I didn’t have a serious reaction to the vaccine.  I was free to leave.  I exited the community hall through a side door and walked home.

The only side effect I encountered was a slightly sore left arm for 2 days.

I’m now half protected against COVID-19.  I can’t wait to get my second dose in early April.  I encourage everyone to get vaccine as soon as possible.  The faster we reach herd immunity, the better.  Worldwide cases have already surpassed 100 million and are still increasing.  It’s been a year since the pandemic started and it’s beginning to look like COVID-19 will stay forever.  Similar to the flu shot, we’ll have to get an updated COVID-19 shot every year.  I hope I’m wrong.

It’s surprising how one virus can suddenly turn the whole world upside down in such a short period of time.            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment