Friday, September 10, 2021

NSSI Sealift & Arctic Bay

The MV Rosaire A Desgagnes anchored in Arctic Bay on September 5.  The second sealift ship was here!  It would most likely be the last vessel of the 2021 shipping season before the arrival of ice.  The Rosaire is operated by Desgagnes Transarctik Inc. (DTI) and Nunavut Sealink and Supply Inc. (NSSI).  It’s the same ship that came to Arctic Bay last year.

Sealift activity is in the centre of the photo.

The first sealift ship that arrives is operated by Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping (NEAS).  This year, the company decided to send its ship assigned to Arctic Bay really early.  It arrived in the middle of August!  We usually see NEAS at the end of the month, just a day or two before NSSI.  I guess the company had other plans.  The NEAS ship was gone before I could take any pictures.  I tried to organize a tour for cadets, but this was unsuccessful due to COVID-19 restrictions.  There’s always next year.

Two tugboats & barges were lowered into the water.  Loaders, ramps, and several sea containers were lowered onto the barges.  The tugboats pushed the barges to shore and the NSSI crew moved everything ashore.  One of the sea containers had been converted into a temporary office.  People with orders were required to see the Shore Captain at the office and sign paperwork.  Once the area had been transformed into a temporary dock/unloading area, the main operation began. 

I safely investigated and photographed the activity in front of the Northern Store.  There were already a number of sea containers and wooden crates ashore.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t locate my wooden crate.  I met the Shore Captain and he confirmed that my crate was still aboard the Rosaire.  He assured me it would be brought ashore while I signed some documents.  I avoided the two moving loaders.  Even though a lookout is assigned to each loader, you still have to be very careful around the large machines.           

I decided to walk up one of the tall hills behind the Co-op to get a few pictures of the ship in the bay.  A Co-op employee on break asked me where I was going when I walked by.  I pointed to the top of the hill and briefly explained my plan.  They wished me good luck before heading inside.

The walk to the top took about 30 minutes.  I did stop a few times to take pictures of my ascent.  I was sweating a bit when I reached the top.  I think I’m starting to get too old for this.

The view from the top of the hill was breathtaking.  I took plenty of pictures of the Rosaire A Desgagnes.  I was surprised to see it anchored in the centre of the bay.  The captain could have dropped anchor closer to shore, but I guess not.  The bay is deep enough to accommodate large ships.  Just think of it as a large bathtub filled with water.  I also photographed the breakwater pier & all the sea containers & wooden crates brought ashore by the NSSI crew.  A much larger breakwater pier and small craft harbour are scheduled to be built within the next few years.

I found a safe spot to photograph Inuujaq School.  I wanted a good picture of the building and the new playground for the school’s Facebook page.

New power plant.

West Coast and Uptown neighbourhoods.

I also took plenty of pictures of the entire town.  Arctic Bay is slowly changing and I want to document it with photographs.  I’ll eventually select the best photos and create a timeline collage.  The new blue power plant at the Gas Station is nearing completion.  I think it will become operational by the end of the year.  The increased power supply will enable more buildings to be built in the future.  Taller & larger power lines are also being constructed to increase distribution capacity.

Eastside.

Once I was satisfied with the pictures I took, I walked down to the Co-op to buy some groceries.

I found my wooden crate on September 6.  I made arrangements to have it moved to my residence.  A co-worker helped me open it with crowbars on September 7.  I spent a good three hours moving everything inside, opening all the boxes, and finding places to put everything.  My residence resembled a fully stocked underground fallout shelter.  The co-worker loaded the wooden crate into his pickup truck and transported it to the landfill.  I thanked him for helping me.     

New power lines installed along the road to the
Gas Station. (Left side of the road).

No comments:

Post a Comment