Saturday, November 27, 2021

The Third Dose & Saying Goodbye

I received my third dose of the Moderna vaccine against COVID-19 on November 12.  I called the health centre that day hoping to get an appointment the following week.  Surprisingly, the health centre called back an hour later asking if I could come that afternoon?  I agreed.

I got to the health centre quickly because I still had Frank’s truck.  I presented myself to the secretary and was instructed to wait in the main lobby.  The new health centre opened several years ago and is much larger than the previous one.  I can safely assume everyone in town is glad we received a new health centre because the old one was, well, old, small, and outdated.

A nurse introduced herself and instructed me to follow her to a small room where vaccine injections are done.  Paperwork was reviewed, some questions were asked, and then the nurse injected the third dose into my left arm.  I was led back to the main lobby and had to wait 15 minutes.  The secretary printed an updated copy of my COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination for me to take home.  I scanned it, printed a few copies, and laminated one.  These will be definitely come in handy when visiting public places.  One less thing to worry about.

Inuujaq School and Arctic Bay suffered a terrible tragedy in the middle of the month.  We tragically lost our third-grade teacher.  She passed away peacefully, surrounded by family.  I won’t reveal the name and the cause of death for privacy. 

The funeral was held on November 25 at the community hall.  Many people came to pay their last respects.  Near the end of the ceremony, the teachers sang an Inuktitut song in honour of the third-grade teacher.

I went to the burial at the cemetery.  I was glad I wore the toque that comes with a headlamp because it was dark outside.  Family members and other attendees also wore headlamps and held flashlights.  The coffin was carried and lowered into a grave.   A short service was held.  Volunteers took several buckets filled with dirt and carefully poured it around and on top of the coffin.  The buckets were refilled and then emptied until the coffin was no longer visible.  Family members placed flowers around the wooden headstone and said their final goodbyes once more.

RIP. You will be greatly missed.

I began walking back to town, but then accepted a ride from a local resident.      

No comments:

Post a Comment