Monday, May 9, 2022

Polar Bear Hide & Snowy In May

*Warning: Some may find the following images in this post graphic.

The high school Inuit Culture teacher was given a recently harvested polar bear hide to use for her classes.  The hide was still bloody and needed to be skinned.  The teacher informed all classes on May 4 that they were welcome to come to her class and learn the intricacies of polar bear skinning. 

Polar bear fur is used to make heavy winter clothing.  It’s best used during the harsh & cold winter months.  I’ve seen hunters wear polar bear pants & parkas.  I don’t have any, but I’ve thought about getting polar bear pants.

The teacher created a big open space in the middle of her classroom and laid out many flattened cardboard boxes.  The hide arrived in a large clear plastic bag and was placed on the boxes.  I came over in the morning for a few minutes and snapped some pictures. 

I joined the Grade 1 & 2 classes for their lesson on polar bear skinning.  I was able to do this because I was on my prep period.  I stood in the back and took more pictures.  The teacher explained and demonstrated how to properly skin the hide with an ulu.  A few students tried it themselves.

I was also present when the teacher instructed the Grade 8s and took a few pictures of them skinning the hide.  I should mention the classroom did smell like blood and animal, but opened windows helped bring in fresh air.

Speaking of May 4, Happy Star Wars Day everyone!  May the fourth be with you!  And Sith happens!

Mother Nature decided to “gift” the people of Arctic Bay a day of falling snow on May 7.  This time of the year is considered spring, but there is still plenty of ice and snow all around.  They don’t disappear until the end of June.  May 7 resembled a day in March with low white overcast clouds and unlimited snowflakes falling from the sky.  King George V Mountain was obscured.   

I walked onto the breakwater pier after shopping at the Northern Store to take pictures and a short 360-degree video.  The added snow was appreciated by hunters, campers, and people who like to travel by snowmobile.  Anything to cover ice cracks and sharp rocks.

The weather was clear the next day.   


    

No comments:

Post a Comment