Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Journal of Self-Isolation: Days 2 - 4

July 24, 2020

I was tossing and turning in the early morning and eventually dragged myself out of bed by 9am.  I wanted to sleep some more but my body refused to cooperate.  It wasn’t like I had somewhere to be.  I showered and got dressed.  There was a knock on my door at 9:40am.  I assumed it was breakfast.  I answered the door while wearing a mask.  There are small coffee tables outside each room for staff to place meals.  I picked up the meal and slowly retreated into my room while being watched by two guards.

My first breakfast in isolation consisted of scrambled eggs, potatoes, some vegetables, and a juice box.  I photographed the meal before consuming most of it.  (I’m not much of a fan for potatoes . . . unless they’re French fries).  While preparing for isolation, I thought of ways to keep myself busy and sane.  Two ideas that came to mind were: photograph all my delivered meals and keep a journal.  The photographs may come in handy in the future.  And as for the journal, to record my experience and share the best parts on this blog.  I placed the breakfast plate back on the coffee table outside my room when I was done.

There were workers on the roof of the West Memorial Building (WMB) next to the hotel.  The roof of the building is at the same height as my hotel room.  The workers were continuing with the renovation of the building.  The contracted company had built a tall tower crane next to the building to lift heavy loads.  Thankfully, the noise level of the ongoing work wasn’t too loud.

There was another knock on my door at 12:15pm.  Lunch had arrived.  The meal offered rice, chicken, and some vegetables.  I ate it while watching a classic movie from 1986: Rad. 

The phone rang at 1pm.  It was a nurse asking me how I was doing and if I was experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.  I replied I was feeling fine.  The phone call lasted a minute. 

There is a dinner menu.  You just circle what you want and place the order form on the table outside your room by 3pm.  I selected the No Dinner option because I had eaten enough.  That and I brought food into isolation and it needed to be consumed.

I quickly discovered that the walls and floor aren’t too thick and they sometimes creek.  I’m not sure when the hotel was built, but I’m certain it was quite a while ago.  I had to alter my exercise regiment because I didn’t want hotel staff coming to my door saying they received noise complaints.  Doing physical exercises is another good way to remain healthy and sane while in isolation.

I spent the remainder of the day playing games on my computer and reading a book.  Before I knew it, evening had arrived and I needed to get some sleep.  I successfully survived my first full day in isolation.  Only 13 more days to go!

Several of my coworkers began their isolation a week early, but are isolating in another location.  I only know of two coworkers who are isolating in the same hotel as I am.

                                                                         July 25, 2020

I was startled awake by a loud knock on my door at 8am.  Breakfast had arrived early.  I just roll over and went back to sleep.  I wasn’t hungry.  I slept in this time and finally dragged myself out of bed after 10am.  I showered, dressed, and was fully awake by 11am.  There was no construction activity happening next door at the WMB because it was Saturday.  I spent the next hour online reading the news and watching YouTube videos.

The next knock on my door occurred at 12:15pm.  Lunch was here.  The knock also reminded me that I had yet to pick up breakfast.  I opened the door and picked up both meals.  I was right to skip breakfast.  The main course was oatmeal.  I never liked oatmeal; it’s punishment food.  Thankfully, there was also an apple, croissant, and orange juice.  I placed them in the fridge for later.  As for the oatmeal, it went right back outside.  No thank you.


The lunch meal looked more appealing: spaghetti with sauce and two pieces of bread.  That’s all I need to get through the afternoon.  I washed the plate after eating and placed it outside on the coffee table.  I also placed a dinner menu order form with the Caesar Salad option circled.

The same nurse from yesterday called me at 1pm.  She asked me the same health questions as before.  I replied with the same answers: no COVID-19 symptoms and I’m feeling fine.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent in the same way: computer games, reading, and exercise.  I knew I could go downstairs and walk outside on the designated ground floor balcony, but I had no urge to go.

The Caesar Salad was delivered to my room at 7:10pm.  That’s all I ate.  I have a figure to maintain.

 July 26, 2020

The morning knock on the door was strangely quieter this time.  I stayed in bed until 10am.  Sunday’s breakfast consisted of a bowl of Lucky Charms, 2% milk, apple, and croissant.  I placed the milk in the fridge and ate the cereal dry.  I no longer like milk in cereal.  I also ate the croissant but saved the apple for later.

Lunch arrived at 12:15pm: a sandwich and a bag of Doritos.  The small portions are okay.  I prefer sticking to two meals a day.

The usual phone call from the nurse occurred at 1pm.  So far, the nurse has been very punctual. 

My body seems to have successfully adjusted to life in isolation.  I have established a routine and am sticking to it.  I’m glad I have access to several things to keep me occupied: a laptop with games & internet access, an external hard drive filled with movies & tv shows to watch, and a few good books to read.  Otherwise, I would be staring at the ceiling or looking out the window all day & night.    

My family & friends have been asking me how isolation is going?  I tell them it’s going alright but can be boring at times.         

I skipped dinner.

Only 10 more days to go.

                                                                        To Be Continued . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment