Saturday, August 1, 2020

Journal of Self-Isolation: Days 5 – 8

July 27, 2020

I slept in again.  I’ve gotten used to the large bed in my hotel room.  I finally got up at 10am and took a shower.  I took my time getting ready and was finally in a presentable state after some time.  You never know when hotel staff or a security guard will knock on your door to ask you something.  I brought in the breakfast; there wasn’t much to eat in my opinion.  I reheated it in the microwave and ate some of it.

The construction site was alive with activity.  Workers were walking along the roof, carrying tools and making repairs.  The tall crane lifted building supplies up to the roof, then brought down discarded materials.  The materials were placed in large dumpsters next to the building.

Lunch arrived early; 11:45am instead of 12pm.  The meal consisted of ribs sitting on a vegetable mix of corn, beans, and peas.  I reheated the meal in the microwave some time later and managed to eat most of it.  The ribs were good, but not great.

The nurse called at 1pm to ask me the same questions as before.  I replied with the same answers I used . . . before.  The phone call was done in a minute.

I didn’t order dinner because I wanted to eat the food I had in the fridge.

The workers at the West Memorial Building called it a day at 5:30pm.  They packed up and went home, leaving the construction area quiet.  They would be back the next day to continue the roof repairs.

There’s not much else I can say for this day.  The afternoon was pretty much just keeping myself entertained by using the internet, watching content on my external hard drive, reading a book, and doing exercise.  Monday was a pretty boring day.

 

July 28, 2020

The knock at 8:30am briefly woke me up.  Breakfast had arrived.  I dozed off again because I’m not required to retrieve the food right away.  I finally got up at 10am like the previous day.  I retrieved the breakfast after I showered and dressed.  I set out two garbage bags and several bath towels that needed to be replaced.

The breakfast consisted of two slices of bread, a squared-cheese omelette, and a croissant-like dessert.  I just ate the bread & dessert.  I’m not an omelette person.  I like my eggs poached or hardboiled. 

I messaged a few coworkers on how they were coping with isolation.  Most said they were getting by, but staying in a room all day was pretty boring.  I mostly agreed.  Three had already completed isolation in another location because they started early.  They said they were glad to be done, free, and back in Nunavut.  Freedom.  Still quite a few days away for me.

There was knock on my door at 11:50am.  I decided to answer it because I heard staff talking to other people in isolation.  I opened the door and was greeted by a hotel staff member.  They asked me if I had completed a dinner selection form.  I replied “No” because I thought we had until 3pm to choose.  They said I had to pick now because the kitchen staff needed more time.  I quickly got a form and circled the steak option.  I handed the form to the staff member.

Lunch arrived at 12pm.  It was a chicken/vegetable mix in a sauce of some kind with white rice as a side dish.  I heated it in the microwave and then took a chance.  The meal was okay but the presentation of the chicken/vegetable combination could have been better.  The white rice looked better. 

The phone call from the nurse happened much later.  The phone rang at 3:08pm.  The nurse was a different person, but still asked the same questions.  I responded that I was feeling fine.

I spent the afternoon making notes in my isolation journal, watched some episodes from a popular TV show on my laptop, and played a new PC game. 

The steak arrived at 6:30pm.  It came with two side dishes.  The steak looked nice and tasted better after I heated it in the microwave. 

I continued playing on my laptop and then went to bed at 11pm.

 

July 29, 2020

I woke up early, but didn’t want to get out of bed.  I tried going back to sleep, but my mind wouldn’t let me.  I spent some time reading the news on my cell phone, keeping up with world events.  I finally gathered enough strength and got out of bed to face the day.

The breakfast meal had much to offer.  There was a muffin, Rice Krispies cereal, two hardboiled eggs, an orange, and a small carton of 2% milk.  I saved the milk & the eggs for later.  I consumed everything else.  This was the best breakfast so far.

My parents called at 11am, wanting to know how I was surviving prison, I mean, isolation.  I told them I was doing well, still had food to eat, and been keeping myself busy. 

Lunch arrived at 11:50am.  A ham & cheese sandwich and a bag of Doritos.  Yeah . . . that’s all I can say about that.   They tasted good, but that’s about it.

The West Memorial Building roof must have been very old because the tall tower crane was bringing down quite a lot of discarded materials.  By the end of the day, one garbage bin was full while another was half-full.

The same nurse from yesterday called, but this time at 12:48pm.  Long story short: I’m still alive and healthy!

The afternoon was pretty much more of the same.  I skipped dinner again.

 

July 30, 2020

I read the news and watched YouTube videos on my phone during the early morning hours of July 30.  I’m glad the hotel provides free wifi to patrons.  I was showered and dressed by 10:30am.

My parents called me at 10:45am to let me know that another food box was on the way.  It should last me till the end of isolation and if there’s any food left, I can take it with me up north.  Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to pick up the box in the lobby.  The hotel staff will bring it to my room.

Breakfast didn’t appeal to me: two folded egg omelettes, baked potato cubes, an orange juice box, and a small ketchup packet.  I took one bite out of an omelette and drank the entire juice box.  I placed the rest outside on the small table.  At least I tried the meal. 

Lunch arrived at 11:50am and didn’t look good either.  It was macaroni covered in a red sauce and a slice of garlic bread.  Reheating the macaroni in the microwave didn’t make it taste better.  I ended up only eating the garlic bread.  Maybe today is the head chef’s day off, I thought.  At least I had food box on the way.  I could only imagine what the other people in the hotel were thinking about their lunches.  Some probably didn’t have to worry because they were ordering from Skip The Dishes or had similar local connections.  The lunch plate also ended up outside on the small table. 

The nurse called at 1:40pm for the daily checkup.  Everything’s fine with me.

There was a knock on my door at 2:30pm.  It couldn’t be lunch or dinner, so that only meant one thing: the food box had arrived.  I put on a face mask and answered the door.  Sure enough, a staff member was standing with a large cardboard box in their hands.  They said I had a delivery.  I took the box and thanked them for bringing it to me.  The box was too big to go inside the fridge.  I removed the food and placed it in the fridge.  I would use the box as a garbage can.  I sent a thank you email to my parents.

I spent the remaining afternoon exercising, watching a movie, chatting with friends over Facebook, and playing games.  I ate some food from the fridge for dinner.

I went to bed at 11pm. 

I’m halfway through isolation!

                                                                        To Be Continued . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment