Friday, November 4, 2022

Halloween 2022

I start thinking about Halloween in August, right after I return to Arctic Bay from summer vacation.  The main reason for this is because of the long time required to wait for things to arrive by mail.  Waiting two weeks is still the minimum standard.  The two main items I need are a costume and candy.  True, I could order these items as early as the spring and put them on my summer sealift, but at that time, I’m more focused on filling my sealift with non-perishable goods and school supplies.  I can afford to wait a little longer because the shipping costs by air aren’t too high.

Choosing a good costume was my first priority.  I’ve been purchasing costumes from Spirit Halloween since 2013 and overall, the store hasn’t failed me yet.  Buying a new costume every year keeps things interesting, fresh, current, and making the students & teachers figure out if it’s really me under the masks.  At the same time, though, I haven’t disposed my previous costumes, so now I have 11 outfits that need to be stored somewhere.  I may donate them to the school if I ever decide to move.  In the meantime, I let the high school students wear the old costumes if they have nothing else.  (More on this coming up).

My 11th Halloween costume was the guard uniform from the South Korean survival drama TV series Squid GameThe series debuted on Netflix in 2021 and was very well received.  I only watched the first episode this past summer, but it was interesting enough to leave an imprint on my mind.  The costume arrived in the correct size.

I ordered candy from Well.ca and Amazon.ca in early September.  Arctic Bay has a very large young population, most of them like candy, and they usually go to the southern teachers’ houses first.  I also offer candy to parents/guardians if they come to the door.  Everyone loves candy.  The candy arrived at the end of the month.

Inuujaq School’s Events Committee organized a Halloween door decorating contest and afternoon assembly.  The assembly would feature a performance of the high school drumline and a costume contest.  Classes had the last week of October to decorate their doors.  To ensure fairness, classes were divided into four groups.  Three selected judges would choose a winner for each group.  They would also judge the costume contest and choose a winner for each class.

My door.

Grade 6 Door.

October 31 finally arrived.  I walked from one end of school to the other, photographing all the decorated doors.  Several high school students decorated my door.  The winners would be announced at the end of the afternoon assembly.  Lunch was extended by 30 minutes to give students & staff time to eat and get their costumes ready.  I changed into my costume at school.  I also brought my previous costumes for my high school students.  My drummers helped me set up the drums & sound system in the gym prior to the start of the assembly.  You don’t want to keep the audience waiting.  They were impressed by my Squid Game costume.  More people arrived in costume.  I did my best to not give away my identity.  Classes were called down to the gym and the assembly began at 1:45pm.

The gym was full of people: students, staff, parents, guardians, and Elders.  The principal & vice-principal welcomed everyone to the 2022 Halloween Assembly, and called upon my drummers to start the festivities with a bang.  Everyone knew I was the Squid Game Guard as soon as I led the drummers into the gym.  The drumline and I played three group pieces and I played two solos.  The audience enjoyed and appreciated the performance.

Grade 1 Class.

Grade 3 Class.

The assembly moved on to the costume contest.  Classes were called individually to walk around the centre of the gym twice while everyone watched.  The three judges sat behind a table in a corner, debated amongst themselves, and then selected the best dressed from each class.  Teachers and parents/guardians also competed.  Winners from each group were given Co-op gift cards.  Classes that won the door decorating contest would receive funds to hold pizza parties.  Unfortunately, my door was not selected, and I did not receive a gift card.  There’s always next year. 

Grade 6 Class.

Students & teachers returned to their classrooms at the end of the assembly and played games.  The drumline assisted me in putting the drums in their cases and moving everything back to my classroom.  Students who borrowed costumes returned them before the dismissal bell rang.  A co-worker helped me transport my costumes home.

Trick-or-treating began at 5pm and ended at 7pm.  There was a steady stream of trick-or-treaters.  I wore my costume and handed out four pieces of candy to each person.  There were either more trick-or-treaters than last year or I didn’t buy enough candy, because I nearly ran out. I’m buying more next time.  I quickly changed out of my costume and made my way down to the community hall for the Ugliest Costume Contest.  The recent lifting of COVID-19 restrictions brought the contest indoors for the first time since 2019!

The annual Ugliest Costume Contest brings out creativity and laughter.  Contestants fall into one of two categories: 12 & Under, and 13 & Over.  They usually design their costumes to cover their faces, keeping their identities secret until the very end.  Large numbers are taped to the backs of the costumes so that it’s easier for judges to select the best ugliest dressed, if that makes sense.  Surprisingly, I was recruited to be a judge.  I was reluctant at first because I didn’t think I was qualified, but after much persuasion, I relented and joined the other judges on stage.  The school’s vice-principal was also recruited.

The 12 & Under contestants went first, walking around the hall a few times while Halloween themed music played over loud speakers.  The judges & I watched, and then collectively selected the top three contestants.  The 13 & Over group came next and we selected the top three from that group.  Once again, the costumes were creative, wild, funny, and scary. 

The winners were called to the stage to receive their cash prizes and remove their masks.  The audience applauded each recipient.  Everyone was dismissed for the night after the last winner was announced.  I survived my first time being a judge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment