Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Country Food, A Gathering, & A New Machine

Warning: Some of the following images in this post may be considered graphic.

Sorry for the long wait, but I’ve decided to summarize the remainder of November rather than write a few micro-blog posts.

The local District Education Authority (DEA) purchased several pounds of caribou (tuktu) meat for the purpose of distributing it to students.  The meat most likely came from the Nunavut mainland because there is a caribou hunting restriction on Baffin Island.  The herd is quite small and needs time to repopulate. 

The frozen meat arrived on November 17 and was placed on flattened cardboard boxes on top of a large blue tarp in the Home Ec Room.  The meat was packed in large black Rubbermaid bins.  The meat had been cut up into fairly large sizes, but I assumed they would be cut into smaller pieces to guarantee equal distribution.  Judging from the meat on display, I think there were pieces from every part of the caribou. 

The meat was handed out at the end of the school day.  Students were first and staff were second.  I took a small piece.  The meat can be eaten raw or cooked.  I’ve done both.  Caribou tastes like beef.  I call it “the chicken of the North” because when you eat other Arctic animals (with the exception of fish), they taste like caribou. 

Inuujaq School held an Elders Gathering in the gym on the afternoon of Saturday, November 19.  The purpose of the gathering was to connect with local Elders and encourage them to sign up for the school’s Elders List.  They would be authorized to come into the school to give talks, lessons, and extra supervision.  The RCMP were also present at the gathering to help interested Elders fill out the police check forms.

The school ordered country food & store-bought food.  Tables and chairs were set up around the gym.  One row of tables contained fruits, vegetables, snacks, desserts, caribou stew, and a variety of beverages.  Large pieces of frozen caribou and seal meat lay in the middle of the gym on top of flattened cardboard boxes and a blue tarp.  Large & small ulus (knives) were ready to be used to cut the frozen meat.

Quite a few Elders came to the gathering.  I joined the ones sitting around the frozen country food and ate a few slices of caribou meat.  Dipping it in soy sauce makes it tastier.  I also had a small plate of food.  School Administration and teachers mingled with the Elders and discussed various topics.  I didn’t stay until the very end because I had school work that needed attention.  I think several Elders did sign up to be included on the school’s approved Elders List.  The staff would be informed of the updated list in the following week.

Dark season has been in full swing since November 11.  The sun no longer shows itself, only rising behind mountains and then sinks back down.  I have enough Vitamin D pills to see me through until the sun returns.  I’m still not convinced on buying a sun lamp.  Speaking of light, I always carry a flashlight when I’m outside during this time of year.  It just makes things more manageable.

I decided to upgrade my transportation capability by purchasing a new skidoo (snowmobile).  The Northern Store had a 2022 Backcountry model they (somehow) didn’t sell last year and the manager offered it at a lower price.  I agreed and put in a big downpayment.  It’s great when you have most of the money on hand.  I will pay off the remainder in a few weeks. 

I took possession of my new machine on November 27.  It drives quite well.  I’m going to wait until the spring to take it out on the land.  As for my old skidoo, I’m going to hold on to it for a little while longer and then maybe sell it.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment