Sunday, December 11, 2022

Parents Night Parade & Last Cadet Day Of 2022

I held a Parents Night Parade (PNP) on Wednesday, December 7 for the army cadets of 3045 Cadet Corps.  They accomplished quite a bit since the October parade, so it was only fairly to publicly acknowledge and reward their efforts.  The cadets were given advance warning, and worked hard on their drill & uniforms.  I recruited the Grade 6 teacher to be the Guest Reviewing Officer (GRO). 

The hour before the parade followed the same routines from the previous PNP.  The cadets and I turned the gym into a parade square by assembling chairs, tables, flags, banners, sound system, and a reception table.  I placed the badges and awards on the main table last.  The cadets changed into their dress uniforms and anxiously awaited the arrival of their families & friends.  The senior cadet formed up the cadets and took attendance.  While this was happening, I spoke to the GRO about parade duties.  They were: inspect the cadets, observe the March Past, give a brief speech, and assist me in handing out badges and awards.

The parade began at 6:30pm.  I marched into the gym with the GRO following behind.  We received the General Salute and the GRO inspected the cadets on parade.  I did a brief welcome speech to the audience while this happened.  The cadets then did a March Past to showcase their platoon drill.  The GRO then gave a brief speech, commending the cadets for their dress, drill, and deportment.

Level 1 Marksmanship.

Level 3 Marksmanship.

The GRO & I continued the parade by handing out awards.  We started with the usual two: marksmanship and physical training (PT).  Three cadets achieved Level 1 Marksmanship and one cadet achieved Level 3 Marksmanship.  (Level 1 is the lowest & Level 4 is the highest).  Three cadets achieved Bronze PT, two cadets achieved Silver PT, and one cadet achieved Excellence PT.

Next, I announced the three winners of the Fall Biathlon competition in late October.  To ensure fairness, I divided the competing cadets into three groups: First Years, Second Years, and Seniors.  The winners received military-themed t-shirts and bragging rights.

Two senior cadets attended a Year 5 leadership workshop in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in November.  I called them to the front to be publicly recognized for successfully completing the course. 

Cadet being promoted to Lance-Corporal.

The last presentation the GRO & I did was promoting a cadet to the rank of Lance-Corporal.  The rank badge is one chevron. 

The parade concluded with an Advance-In-Review-Order and a General Salute.  The GRO & I exited the gym.  The cadets were dismissed and the parade officially came to an end.  I thanked the Grade 6 teacher for volunteering his time to be the GRO. 

The cadets & I posed for a group photograph and then attended the reception.  The reception lasted about 20 minutes.  The cadets & I needed another 15 minutes to clean the gym.  I congratulated the cadets for another successful PNP and dismissed for the night.

Saturday, December 10, was the last day for cadets before the Christmas Break.  The cadets played sports & games in the gym, and I finished the day with a candy toss.  I started doing candy tosses in 2017 when I had leftover Halloween candy and wanted to get rid of it.  It’s more of a candy dump than a toss.

Prior to the event, I have the cadets assemble the gym mattresses to form a large square.  They take their shoes off and receive a large Ziploc bag.  They stand along the perimeter of the square while I go up to the second level and fill a large cardboard box with candy.  Once I receive an all-ready from the cadets below, I pour all the candy onto the gym mats.  The cadets rush into the centre and try to grab as much candy as they can.  It’s gone in a matter of seconds.  The cadets help me put all the mattresses away after the candy has been claimed.

The cadets formed up so that I could wish them a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  They wished me the same.  I let the senior cadet in charge dismiss the cadets for the final time in the year 2022.  We would reform in early January 2023.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment