Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Qamutik Cup 2023

Qamutik Cup is an annual hockey tournament that began in 2009.  The tournament mostly sees teams from north Baffin Island communities compete, but communities on the mainland, such as, Naujaat (Repulse Bay), and Sanirajak (Hall Beach), have participated in the past.  Arctic Bay hosted this year’s tournament, April 20 – 25.  Five teams competed for the trophy: Igloolik, Sanirajak, Pond Inlet, and Arctic Bay.  Arctic Bay had two teams: Impact & North Stars.

Visiting teams try to fly to the host community, but the high cost of air travel makes it challenging.  Fundraising can only do so much, and Canadian North isn’t willing to lower prices, especially since they hold a monopoly.  Teams travel by skidoo & qamutik if conditions are right.  It would be nice if all Nunavut communities were connected by road, but unfortunately, we’re not there yet.

As mentioned in the previous post, Qamutik Cup began right after Nunavut Quest.  Arctic Bay felt like the centre of Nunavut with these two large events happening side-by-side.  The hotel and old bed & breakfast were full, and locals opened their houses for visitors to stay.  I think some still resorted to camping in their tents.  I hope more houses are built next year.

I left the community hall at the end of the Nunavut Quest awards ceremony and walked over to the hockey arena to watch the first game between Sanirajak and Pond Inlet.  The game had already started and there was a sizeable crowd cheering both teams.  I found an empty spot in the stands and watched the action unfold in front of me.  The players, as well as the audience, were in high spirits.  I stayed until the end of the game.  I think Pond Inlet won.

Games were mostly scheduled in the afternoon, the earliest beginning at 3pm, however, a few were played in the morning.  I wanted to attend more games, but my schoolwork got in the way.  Or maybe I just work too hard and need to take a break occasionally.  The final game was held on the evening of April 25.  In the end, Arctic Bay Impact won the game and the tournament!  The Qamutik Cup will stay in town until next year.  The trophy is modelled after the Stanley Cup but is a little smaller.

I’m going to be taking a short break from my blogging duties because I’m going to be out of town until early May.  The flight leaves tomorrow morning, so I need to get packing!  You’ll read all about it when I come back!      


No comments:

Post a Comment