Friday, April 19, 2019

Landscapes, Seals, & The Qamutik Cup

East Side & Downtown

Uptown
School was out for Easter Break in the middle of April.  Everyone had ten days off to do whatever they wanted.  Of course, even if there is an extended break, teachers still feel compelled to go to school to prepare classroom materials for when classes resume.  This is just one of the things that are not known by people who are not familiar with the education profession.  Educators are always working; even on vacation.  We do a lot when we’re “off the clock”.  I knew I would need to be in my classroom at least twice during the break to get things prepared.  However, I would be left with more days to relax and explore the land around me.  My first opportunity came in the afternoon on Sunday, April 14.
            
Gas Station & Industrial Area.
Inuujaq School
Cadets had just finished in the school gym, but I stayed a little bit later to finish some administrative work.  The cadets had been shooting air rifles and skiing outside.  The skiers told me how sunny and beautiful the weather was outside.  I collected my belongings and warmed up my skidoo.  The cadets were right about the sunny weather.  I looked north towards the two tall hills that overlook the community.  The slope between the hills is not steep and many people drive their skidoos up the middle to get to the hills and/or Victor Bay.  A thought occurred to me that it has been a while since I’ve taken pictures of the community.
            
Old Health Centre.
I had originally planned to go to the Co-op right after cadets to buy a few things but when I drove up to the store, my mind convinced me that today was a good day to take pictures.  I always have my camera in my backpack so I was ready to go.  I drove past the Co-op, off the road, and onto the soft snow.  I looked at the slope between the hills.  I’ve done this before and I can do it again.  I stood up on my skidoo and drove up.
            
My skidoo trail up the slope.
I safely reached the top of the slope and only had to maneuver around several rocks sticking out of the snow.  I mostly followed a skidoo track left by someone else.  I turned left when I got to the top and drove close to the edge of the hill.  I left my skidoo running and walked a bit closer to get a clear view of the community.  The views were breathtaking.
            
New Health Centre.
Downtown.
Hockey arena (bottom); Community
Hall (bottom centre).
Previous teaching experience has taught me that pictures of Arctic Bay and the surrounding area come in handy when I teach social studies.  And they also help new southern teachers understand the important places in town and out on the land.  I took as many pictures as I could of the various neighbourhoods and recognizable landmarks.  I also filmed a short panning video of the community.  You can view it here on my YouTube channel.  What surprised me is how well you can hear all the sounds.  I could clearly hear all the sled dogs barking out on the ice and the low rumbling sounds of vehicles driving through the community.  Sound really does travel further on cold days.
            
Co-op
Northern Store.
Victor Bay.
Grade 1 Teacher's cabin.
I jumped on my skidoo drove further north towards Victor Bay.  I stayed on top of the hill.  I was planning on travelling into Victor Bay and beyond so it was a good idea to do reconnaissance.  Victory Bay was frozen and had less visible skidoo tracks.  Plus, it sounded much quieter.  There are only cabins located here.  Speaking of cabins, I managed to spot the Grade 1 teacher’s cabin in the far-off distance near the end of Victor Bay.  I had driven by it in the past but never stepped inside.  My camera is small and doesn’t have very long lens.  The cabin was at least 12km from where I was standing.  Taking a chance, I aimed my camera and snapped several pictures.  Upon closer inspection, only one picture clearly showed the cabin.  It was a long shot, but I got it!
            
Skidoo trail to Arctic Bay.
I drove down the way I came because I needed to buy snacks & supplies for my day trips out on the land.  Where will I be going this year?  Wait and see.
           

I came across an unusual sight on Monday, April 15.  I was on my way to school to do some school work when I came across a collection of seals sticking out of the snow.  The seals were dead but their heads were buried in the snow.  The rest of their bodies were pointing to the sky.  I stopped my skidoo to take a closer look.  Truth be told, this is the first time I’ve seen seals placed in this manner after being hunted.  They looked like that untrue perception about ostriches.  I photographed the frozen carcases, wondering if this was done as a joke or for a specific purpose.  I would later find out that the heads are buried to prevent birds, dogs, and other animals from eating the heads.
            


Monday, April 15 was also the day of opening ceremony of the Qamutik Cup.  The annual hockey tournament sees teams from neighbouring communities come together for a week to compete for the prized Qamutik Cup.  Arctic Bay, Pond Inlet, and Igloolik are the usual participants, but this year Hall Beach and Clyde River sent teams to compete.  I think Clyde River was the only team that came by plane.  The others came by skidoo & qamutik.  The location of the tournament rotates every year between three permanent participating communities rotate every year.  The last time I physically saw the cup was in May 2018.  The cup looks like a Stanley Cup replica.
            
Hall Beach Team.
Arctic Bay Impact - Team 1
The ceremony was held at the hockey arena and began at 4:00pm.  Arctic Bay’s Impact team was keen on winning the cup again this year, having been champions for the last two years.  The bleachers were packed with excited people.  The cup sat on a black pedestal at centre line.  All the hockey teams lined up on the other side of the rink, waiting to be introduced.  They were all wearing their hockey jerseys.  There would be 7 teams competing.  Two from Arctic Bay, two from Igloolik, one from Pond Inlet, one from Hall Beach, and one from Clyde River. 
            
Arctic Bay Impact - Team 2
Pond Inlet & Igloolik teams.
The tournament organizers called out each individual team to the ice.  They entered while the audience clapped and cheered.  I’m sure each hockey player felt like they were competing in the NHL.  The teams assembled in a line around the centre circle.  I saw several of my former & current students on the two Arctic Bay teams and the Pond Inlet team.  Once all the teams were assembled in a U-shape, one of the tournament organizers sang the national anthem.  There were also a few speeches, filled with words of encouragement, best of luck, playing fair, and for everyone to have fun.  A representative from the Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA) was present for the opening ceremony and received a whale carving gift from the Qamutik Cup organizers.  I think QIA made a monetary donation to the tournament. 
            

I took a picture of the tournament schedule after the ceremony.  The schedule looked pretty busy.  The tournament would start immediately.  Three matches were scheduled after the opening ceremony.  There would be matches everyday until Tuesday, April 23.  Our hockey arena only has one rink.  I wasn’t sure if I would be able to attend the matches because I had other plans in the works.  However, if my plans didn’t work out, at least there was a Plan B.






No comments:

Post a Comment