Monday, April 15, 2019

Stage III Marksmanship (2019) – Part 3



My cadets were in good spirits on the morning of Sunday, April 7.  It was the last day of the competition.  Everyone was instructed to turn in their bedding and pack their luggage after breakfast.  The military promotes/enforces getting things done ahead of time and those two tasks are always first on the last day of any event.  The breakfast menu was the same but the food was fresh & tasty.
            

I walked over to the hangar with my cadets.  The shooting range looked much different than the day before.  The SIUS targets were sitting on black metal posts while the screens & consoles sat on grey tables.  Grey foldout chairs were placed in front of the tables for each competitor.  The shooting mats covered all the wires to protected them against ricocheting lead pellets.  (These things happen).  My cadets followed the same routine as yesterday: putting on their shooting jackets, checking their air rifles, and then walking to their assigned lanes as a team.
            


The first standing relay for us was 9am.  Cadet competitors were given 15 minutes to shoot 10 pellets at the target.  That’s more than enough time; 90 seconds per pellet.  Shooting while standing is more of a challenge because you’re only allowed to use your arms & hands to hold the rifle.  Using bipods/tripods would be cheating.  I stood back and let my cadets shoot at their own pace.  I did let them know how much time was left.
           


The second standing relay for my cadets started at 11:45am.  This time, they were given 20 pellets and had 30 minutes to shoot all of them at the SIUS targets.  Again, I let them shoot at their own pace and helped them upon request.  I managed to take several pictures for the corps Facebook page.
            
The second standing relay was the last relay for my cadets.  The competition was done.  They went back to the assigned room and packed everything.  Now all we had to do was wait for the results to be posted after lunch.  The cadets felt confident that their scores were pretty high and enough to advance to the national level.
            
The final results were posted in the hangar after lunch.  We were competing against Iqaluit & Rankin Inlet, the other two corps in the Eastern Arctic Region.  Iqaluit was in third place.  Rankin Inlet came in second place.  And we were first.  3045 Arctic Bay was advancing to Stage IV, the National Marksmanship Competition in Victoria, BC.  We were all ecstatic!  I posted a short status update on the corps Facebook page and it didn’t take long for the likes & congratulatory comments to start pouring in.
           


Everyone assembled in the hangar at 1:30pm for the awards ceremony.  The Captain-in-charge congratulated the cadets for making it to Stage III and proceeded to announce the teams that would advance to Stage IV.  He then handed out silver marksmanship pins to each cadet.  The last thing to do was to take a group photo of all the participating teams.
            

The same officer who drove us to Gimli would drive us to the Winnipeg Airport.  We had to be at the airport at least 2 hours early.  We loaded our luggage & rifles in the back of the blue DND van.  My cadets said their goodbyes to the Rankin Inlet & Iqaluit cadets.  We left the base at 2:30pm.
            
We drove into Gimli and stopped at a local Tim Hortons.  I was walking towards the main entrance when a kid exited the restaurant.  I was wearing my military CADPAT uniform.  He looked at me and saluted.  I returned the salute and said, “Carry on.”  I went inside and didn't see any long lines.  I bought a small Ice Capp.  My cadets came in thereafter and bought what they wanted.  We left 10 minutes later.
            
We arrived at the Winnipeg Airport at 4pm.  I thanked the officer for being our personal chauffeur for the weekend.  He left after we checked in our luggage and rifles.  Once through security, we found our gate and waited for boarding to commence.  We passed the time staring at our electronic devices.  Upon boarding the WestJet plane, I quickly found out that the military had booked Plus seats for myself and one of my cadets.  The seats are similar to Premium Economy with more leg room and space.  We didn’t complain.  The other cadets were jealous.  Next time, I’ll look at the plane tickets more closely.
           
Toronto Pearson Airport.
One of my cadets takes a break
from all the walking at Toronto
Pearson.  Thankfully, no one
asked him about the CIBC
Aventura card.
Unfortunately, our flight wasn’t direct to Ottawa.  We had to go through Toronto Pearson Airport.  Luckily my cadets had me to help them navigate the large airport.  Of course, they did have some experience considering we flew through here on the way to Winnipeg.  Just as I had suspected, our next gate was far from where we deplaned.  We had to walk quite a distance.  Thankfully, there were moving walkways to take the stress off of our legs.
            
We landed in Ottawa close to midnight.  Our next flight was in the early morning.  We could have stayed at the airport and slept on couches and chairs, but the military had booked us hotel rooms.  The time was past midnight when we got to the hotel.  I told my tired cadets that we would have the rooms only for a few hours.  They didn’t seem to mind.  At least we would have privacy.
            

True to my words, we were back at the airport at 7am.  We checked in and got through security somehow.  The power naps helped but we were still tired from all the travelling.  And we still weren’t home.  The cadets managed to get some much-needed rest on the First Air flight to Iqaluit.  I drifted in & out.  Sleeping while sitting is still a challenge for me.
            
Waiting for our flight to Arctic Bay.
We stayed at the Iqaluit Airport for another hour before boarding our flight to Pond Inlet and Arctic Bay.  We finally touched in Arctic Bay at 6pm.  The parents & guardians of the cadets greeted us at the airport.  They were thrilled to hear that we would be going to Nationals in May.  I was already thinking about applying for leave and hoping my superiors would grant me the time off.  But for now, what I needed the most was a good night’s rest.

End of Stage III Marksmanship (2019) Mini-series.

No comments:

Post a Comment