Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Nunavut’s 20th Birthday



April 1, 2019 was a day of celebration for the people of Nunavut (Nunavummiut).  Canada’s third & newest territory was twenty years old.  Only a few memories remain in my mind of when Nunavut was created in 1999.  On April 1, the Northwest Territories was split in half and new territorial borders were created.  I remember reading about it in the Ottawa Citizen.  I always thought April 1 was a strange day to pick because it is heavily associated with April Fools Day.  However, that was the day the federal government and Inuit negotiators decided on and it became official when both parties signed the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement in 1993.  Much has changed since then.
            
Nunavut’s 20th birthday happened to be on a school day.  Inuujaq School organized an afternoon celebratory assembly in the gym.  I wore my sealskin tie & vest for the occasion.  Classes were encouraged to make decorations and dress in traditional Inuit clothing.  Elders and parents were also invited.
            
The ceremony began at 2:45pm.  Everyone sat or stood along the walls of the gym, leaving a large open space in the middle.  Many people came dressed in traditional Inuit clothing.  The principal & vice principal introduced themselves and welcomed everyone to the assembly.  They each gave a short speech about the creation of Nunavut and its significance in Canadian history.
            
The Grade 8 class came out and performed a few Inuit songs with the help of an Inuit drum.  Two students took turns playing the Inuit drum.
            
High school English & Art teacher, Paulette, receiving her certificate.
School administration wanted to recognize the teaching staff for their commitments to Nunavut education by awarding them certificates.  Each teacher was called up to the front to receive their respective certificate.  I handed my camera to a high school student when my name was called.  They took pictures of me receiving and holding my certificate.
           

The festivities continued with classes forming groups and playing a variety of Inuit games with their teachers.  The games in separate groups lasted 10 minutes.  The principal reconvened everyone for a contest game where lucky students would win a backpack, cup, or water bottle.  The prizes were placed in the centre of the gym.  The prizes I think were donated by the Hamlet Office.  I’m not entirely sure how the game worked because I was taking pictures from the mezzanine, but it worked like a raffle.  Either way, the prizes were claimed by happy students.
            

Revered Arctic Bay Elder, Qapik Attagutsiak (left) was in attendance with one of her daughters (right).
The celebration concluded with a feast of country food.  Bowls of fresh raw caribou meat and caribou jerky had been prepared on the morning of April 1.  A few high school students divided the country food using paper towels while the students were playing games.  They also assisted in the distribution of the food.  I had some myself.  My stomach can handle raw caribou and caribou jerky in small amounts.  I think it’s going to take several more years before I can eat raw meat in larger portions.
           

Me after receiving my certificate.
Everyone was dismissed to their classrooms when all the country food was consumed.  The school bell rang several minutes later.  School was done for the day.
            
My Nunavut certificate is now hanging on a wall in my place.  I can only imagine what Nunavut will look like after another 20 years?  I hope that by the year 2039, all the communities in the territory are connected by roads and all the social problems up here will be addressed & corrected.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment